• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE 10/3 - Injunction covers all FPC members - ATF publishes their pistol brace rule

FB_IMG_1673673237059.jpg

So rush out and register, put your vertical grip back on and have fun !
Oh , but wait, did you register under a Trust ?
If not then don't let your wife touch your evil little weapon. Just sayin.
What happens if your denied for a weapon you already legally own ?
What a can of worms opening up here.

Wrong, there are several brace and blade designs made specifically to attach to pistol buffer tubes.

Could be. They specifically call out pistol buffer tubes as being a way to show that a pistol is a pistol, not an SBR. Basically going back to pre-brace rules.

Again it's not that simple. If they determine in anyway that the pistol with pistol buffer tube can be used like a rifle, they could determine it's in violation. Like all fatf BS, it's left up to interpretation.
And there are also small manufacturers who primarily deal in pistols with braces. They are probably going to go out of business because of this.

They could, and I'm sure that's why they didn't put any specifics in at all. The rule basically says that is a gun has a barrel shorter than 16" they will use whatever the h*** they want as criteria to call it an SBR.

If you put a 10x scope on an AR and say it's a pistol, this rule still allows them to call it an SBR even if it's got a 'pistol' tube on it.

They go to a lot of effort trying to refute that 'arbitrary and capricious' claim from the comments, but since they don't give a single definitive characteristic it's pretty obvious that's exactly what this rule is... And probably why it will get thrown out.

Not sure who makes braced pistols 100%, but I really doubt any gun manufacturers will go OOB because of this (assuming it's upheld). Pretty much everyone I can think of that makes braced pistols can simply sell them without.

The folks this will shut down are pretty much all the brace companies themselves.

Could be. They specifically call out pistol buffer tubes as being a way to show that a pistol is a pistol, not an SBR. Basically going back to pre-brace rules.
What pre brace rules? Can you link the rules before braces were around?

The first braces to hit the market were specifically made to attach to pistol buffer tubes. The original Sig braces that kinda started it all just slide tightly right on to your standard pistol buffer tube.

So, we all need to get break-away doors so the frames aren’t damaged when they get kicked in?
Those boys can get quite rambunctious during their no-knock visits.

What pre brace rules? Can you link the rules before braces were around?

The first braces to hit the market were specifically made to attach to pistol buffer tubes. The original Sig braces that kinda started it all just slide tightly right on to your standard pistol buffer tube.

Just what I said. The rules around buffer tubes before the SB/SIG brace. There was a whole set of things that you could or couldn't do with a buffer tube prior to that.

A few I remember were wrapping it in paracord being OK and any tubes having the square part on the bottom most stocks used as being verboten.

You've been around long enough to remember those old rules around pistol ARs.

Just what I said. The rules around buffer tubes before the SB/SIG brace. There was a whole set of things that you could or couldn't do with a buffer tube prior to that.

A few I remember were wrapping it in paracord being OK and any tubes having the square part on the bottom most stocks used as being verboten.

You've been around long enough to remember those old rules around pistol ARs.
I don't think they were rules, I think they were assumptions made by the industry.

Like the assumption that standard milspec buffer tube wouldn't be ok, but then someone asked the ATF and they said yeah it's fine.

That wasn't a "Rule" that was an opinion letter.

Again, if there were "rules" published by the ATF defining what a pistol is please link those "pre brace rules". I'd be interested in seeing them.

Back
Top Bottom