• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE 10/3 - Injunction covers all FPC members - ATF publishes their pistol brace rule

I don't think they were rules, I think they were assumptions made by the industry.

Like the assumption that standard milspec buffer tube wouldn't be ok, but then someone asked the ATF and they said yeah it's fine.

That wasn't a "Rule" that was an opinion letter.

Again, if there were "rules" published by the ATF defining what a pistol is please link those "pre brace rules". I'd be interested in seeing them.
Feel free to look them up yourself if you are so concerned.

If you want to say they are opinion letters, great. They could be either for all the difference it made, since they still determined how the ATF defined a 'pistol' and still had the force of law.

I think I found the answer

The NPRM explained that the proposed criteria and worksheet did not apply to firearms commonly referred to as “pistol grip shotguns,” as they were never designed to beheldandfiredusingonehand(e.g.,MossbergShockwave,RemingtonTac-14).72 See also 86 FR at 30828–29.
As discussed in section II.B of this preamble, these firearms are specifically designed to be fired with two hands. ATF has always classified these weapons as “firearms” under the GCA, and not as “shotguns,” because they do not incorporate a shoulder stock and are not designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder like a shotgun. NorhasATFclassifiedtheseweaponsas“pistols,”astheyarenotdesignedto be held and fired in one hand like a pistol. Thus, the addition of a “stabilizing brace” does not assist with single-handed firing, but instead provides surface area that allows for firing from the shoulder. Therefore, a “pistol grip shotgun” equipped with a “stabilizing brace” and a barrel of less than 18 inches is an NFA “firearm,” i.e., a short-barreled shotgun.73
Your last sentence doesn't make sense given what precedes it.
Mossberg Shockwave/Remington Tac-14 were rules "firearms" under GCA, but not "shotguns" under NFA. Therefore, they couldn't be considered "short-barreled shotguns" under NFA.

For the time being I will just remove the brace. I will not regester mine as SBR as that would complacaite the resale if I or my estate so chooses to liquidate my collection. Binairry triggers are next!

Your last sentence doesn't make sense given what precedes it.
Mossberg Shockwave/Remington Tac-14 were rules "firearms" under GCA, but not "shotguns" under NFA. Therefore, they couldn't be considered "short-barreled shotguns" under NFA.
I've seen a few Shockwave-type guns with braces on them, so maybe that's what they are talking about?

I don't think the base Shockwave setup is being discussed by this new rule.

Back
Top Bottom