• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE 10/3 - Injunction covers all FPC members - ATF publishes their pistol brace rule

My takeaway from all this is :
A) They never should have approved the original brace how ever many years ago that was. Look at the **** storm it's gonna cause among gun owners and the industry.
B) Knowing what we do now why would any company or individual submit any product to ATF for approval? Seriously their word is worthless.

Okay the buffer tube on my Extar is a necessary part of the operation. I can remove the brace from the tube but without the tube it's nonfunctional.

Their point is that you either put a 16"+ barrel on or register it. Interestingly enough, the tailhook is a legal brace in their ruling, lol. So you can add one of those.

Their point is that you either put a 16"+ barrel on or register it. Interestingly enough, the tailhook is a legal brace in their ruling, lol. So you can add one of those.
Yeah but my Extar still needs the tube or "Receiver Extension" to function. I can deal with the plain smooth tube until this **** works it's way through the courts. But if the tube counts then what am I supposed to do?

This:

DLD01_1.jpg

Is an "Other"

It's not a pistol, because it has a forward vertical grip.
It's not a rifle, because it has no buttstock, and its buffer tube specifcally cannot accommodate a stock
It's not an AOW as it's over 26" in overall length (and it has a forward vertical grip)

On that basis, its an "other firearm", and provided they don't change another set of rules, it falls into a variance granted by the ATF on 11/27/2017. I can't register it as an SBR unless I take the forward vertical grip off, and I refuse to do that.

A tax stamp was purchased by the manufacturer and it's registered as an "Other Firearm" with the ATF.

An observant reader will see that the buffer tube in the first photo has the ability to take an adjustable brace which would (as of today) put that firearm in contravention of the ATF's dictats.

The 'today' photo looks a bit different:

1673642181678.png

And as has been noted, a buffer tube is not a cosmetic feature of an AR15-pattern firearm

And a Tailhook is what, about $200.00 give or take? I don't like the Tailhook and don't see why I should have to spend MORE money on a product that was 100% legal last year when I ordered it. Also I don't even know what the barrel length is on the Extar . Maybe 8 to 8.5" and NOT threaded. Also a proprietary upper . So I couldn't just pin a 16" upper on it if I wanted to.

So they are basically outlawing AR pistols in any form unless you register them as SBRs which would create the single largest gun registry of sporting "rifles" in the history of the world in 120 days. Seems par for the course for the Feds. This would be the largest step in history towards an illegal national gun registry.

And a Tailhook is what, about $200.00 give or take? I don't like the Tailhook and don't see why I should have to spend MORE money on a product that was 100% legal last year when I ordered it. Also I don't even know what the barrel length is on the Extar . Maybe 8 to 8.5" and NOT threaded. Also a proprietary upper . So I couldn't just pin a 16" upper on it if I wanted to.

I dont know if thats true. According to atf.gov, the tailhook is also considered a "stabilizing brace".

For anyone legitmately trying to figure out if their "pistol" is now illegal; do not read this thread. You will simply get ****ed. The long and short of it is; all braces are illegal unless you are specifically disabled in a manner that is consistent with you needing said brace. If you try that route; they will undoubtedly ask for proof of your disability. Do not lean on the ADA to negate the need for proof when it comes to the feds. Additionally; even with a disability you are still only restricted to a 16 inch barrel. Plain and simple. The disability portion of the ruling still does not allow you to use what they consider an SBR (any barrel <16 inches). That's literally it. Gun owners took a massive L today. It is what it is. We get what we allow.

Back
Top Bottom