• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE 10/3 - Injunction covers all FPC members - ATF publishes their pistol brace rule

he's right you know.jpeg

explains a lot better then the know it alls on this site

I wish that you are right, but they have amended the definition of "rifle". A buffer tube is now a factor in the definition of a rifle. Meaning that your AR pistol is a rifle because it has a buffer tube.

View attachment 5207365
Read the full text. There is a 'surface area' criteria as to whether a brace is a 'brace' or a 'stock'. One of the tests is the surface area of the brace/stock and the surface area of a buffer tube counts towards that.

A buffer tube that is required to function the firearm counts towards the surface area, but a buffer tube alone does not count as being a brace. And a pistol-style buffer tube is incapable of accepting a brace or stock, so the gun is still a 'pistol'.

I think they would have to discount them quickly, the way I read the 120 day grace period is that it gives you a 120 day grace period to register weapons you owned before the date the rule is entered in the register.

So if the date its entered in the register is today the 13th, if you bought it tomorrow the 14th you don't have the grace period.

I could be wrong but that is the way it reads to me deeper into the law.

The trick will be what date it is officially entered into the register. I would imagine some of the shops would want to discount and move those guns in the next few days or deal with re classing them.
Correct. According to the rule any newly purchased or transferred firearm with a brace is an illegal SBR transfer. No grace period allowed.

The 120 days is only for people who have existing braced guns. Also, you can't sell those guns as-is, because they are now considered SBRs. You also can't buy new ones, or accept them if you had a transfer in progress.

The ATF specifically says that they are not going to enforce their new rule for 120 days to give people time to comply. But as of today legally any braced firearm is considered an SBR unless they deem otherwise.

This is concerning as ****. It reads like there are no more form 1s on previously made pistols, period, after 120 days. So....stripped lowers only for Form 1s after that? And if you ask how will they know.....the S/N will tell them how it left the manufacturer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230113-231902_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113-231902_Drive.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 34
Read the full text. There is a 'surface area' criteria as to whether a brace is a 'brace' or a 'stock'. One of the tests is the surface area of the brace/stock and the surface area of a buffer tube counts towards that.

A buffer tube that is required to function the firearm counts towards the surface area, but a buffer tube alone does not count as being a brace. And a pistol-style buffer tube is incapable of accepting a brace or stock, so the gun is still a 'pistol'.

Correct. According to the rule any newly purchased or transferred firearm with a brace is an illegal SBR transfer. No grace period allowed.

The 120 days is only for people who have existing braced guns. Also, you can't sell those guns as-is, because they are now considered SBRs. You also can't buy new ones, or accept them if you had a transfer in progress.

The ATF specifically says that they are not going to enforce their new rule for 120 days to give people time to comply. But as of today legally any braced firearm is considered an SBR unless they deem otherwise.

Its not quite set yet, it is projected to be entered into the register sometime next week, so I guess anyone that was going to buy or sell should probably figure that out pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom