• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

UPDATE: Tasco 4 x 40 Japan-Manufactured Rifle Scope Inquiry

mrauditor

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
78   0
Reaction score
This is NOT a Tasco-bashing thread, so lighten up, Francis. I recently acquired the scope shown in the 3 pix below and noticed the ocular lens and lock ring area will not rotate so I can finetune the field of view for my eyes. I have never had a problem with gently adjusting that area in any scope before. I figured it was just last tightened by a gorilla and I am a wimp, so I got my local gunshop manager [younger and quite a bit upper strength better] to give it a try. No luck. Then, earlier tonight I had my son-in-law [younger still and even greater upper body strength] to handle it. No luck. I concluded that either it was not meant to be rotated or some demorat loctited it. The ocular lens area does say that it is "internally adjustable" whatever that means. I have not seen that verbiage on a scope before. Also notice in the picture that it was made in Japan and not China, so I am wondering if this model is an older model that did not have the finetune feature. The actual field of view is clear and there are no scratches on the lens, so it is usable as it, but I am curious. Do you guys have any ideas ? Thanks.

Tasco 4x40.jpg
Tasco 4x40a.jpg
Tasco 4x40b.jpg

I have no idea. It definitely appears to be an older one. I’ve had a few Tasco’s that I liked a lot. No bashing here. Maybe google the scope for some info

Internally adjustable probably means that the point of impact is internally adjustable. I have seen tasco‘s since the 80s and that looks earlier than anyone I have seen. If the focus adjustment is frozen, I would check the crosshair adjustment before spending any more time on it. A couple drops of kroil might free up the threads but the vapor will probably leak in and foul the l lenses.

Internally adjustable probably means that the point of impact is internally adjustable. I have seen tasco‘s since the 80s and that looks earlier than anyone I have seen. If the focus adjustment is frozen, I would check the crosshair adjustment before spending any more time on it. A couple drops of kroil might free up the threads but the vapor will probably leak in and foul the l lenses.
Thanks for comments. I also believe that "internally adjustable" was the verbiage used in earlier versions and simply refers to windage and elevation. Those two adjustments do work just fine. I am going to just speculate that this scope might be from the early 60's. It has a very clear field of view and is usable as is. Thanks.

Browsing and found this similar model. Just as reference. Nothing more.​

Tasco 4x40mm Rifle Scope No 643W. Made in Japan​

Condition:
UsedUsed
“Condition is Excellent.”

Price:
US $199.00

th

These are great scopes. I had one on the first 1022 I had nearly 40 years ago. If I spotted a squirrel, it was dead.
The older MIJ Tasco scopes could take some abuse too.
300 win mag & 7mag was no problem .

If the crosshairs work and its clear I would use it as is 👍

These are great scopes. I had one on the first 1022 I had nearly 40 years ago. If I spotted a squirrel, it was dead.
The older MIJ Tasco scopes could take some abuse too.
300 win mag & 7mag was no problem .

If the crosshairs work and its clear I would use it as is 👍
I have been researching online just because I am curious and I have found in several firearm group websites that the consensus is that the ones made in Japan were of higher quality and workmanship as compared to newer non-Japan ones. It is good to go as is and will be utilized. Thanks.

Have you tried turning the lock ring one way, and the eyepiece in the opposite direction? Basically, turn them at the same time, but away from each other.

Have you tried turning the lock ring one way, and the eyepiece in the opposite direction? Basically, turn them at the same time, but away from each other.
Yes. I tried it at first with no luck and then another day I got my local gunshop manager to try it that way. He had a rubber instrument he placed over the lock ring so as not to damage it and for better grip. No luck. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom