URGENT: Please help rescue a dog before she's put down tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldilox

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
126   0
Reaction score
I got a call today from DeKalb Animal Shelter. For months I'd thought that "Diamond," a black pit/lab mix that my neighbor neglected and finally abandoned, had been taken to a no-kill shelter. Apparently not the case, because I was informed this afternoon that she will be put down tomorrow.

I can't take her, since I'm rarely at home during the week. If I'd been given a few weeks notice, I could've found someone. This is a Hail Mary, guys. Can anyone take her in or foster her until a more permanent home can be found? Do you know of someone who might? I have a friend in Atlanta who can pick her up from the shelter and coordinate with you. She'd take the dog but she already has a full house. PM me and I'll give you her contact information. She's going to be put down tomorrow if we can't find her a home/foster home by the morning.

Diamond has been at the animal shelter for 6 months. Conditions there are supposed to be pretty hellish. She's sweet with people but, according to the lady I talked to, has developed aggression issues with other dogs. Maybe a result of what she's been through over there. She's about 60 lbs, black, 4-5 years old, strong build, would be a nice looking dog if she were cleaned up and given some love. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. She probably has heart worms, as well as some eye problem (lady told me it was the result of an eyelid turned inward, I think? can't remember the term). Former owner's remedy for this eye problem was to goop up Diamond's eye with Vaseline. Not a lot of love for this man.

I appreciate any voicing of support, but am really just looking for someone to help rescue her from being euthanized tomorrow. PM me please if you can help. Will check my inbox every few minutes.

Thanks

There's about another hour before I have to let the shelter know if I've found someone. This dog was a friend to me. For two years after work (previous job) I would come home, she'd greet me at the neighbors fence next door, I'd have some sort of treat for her. Sweet dog. Please someone if you can..

Thanks Badmoon, I called them and left msg earlier today. And thanks for the bumps, guys.

Bought the dog a stay of execution til Friday, full-stop. It is now likely, however, that I will be working here in Dalton til Saturday (the bad weather is keeping us from working in the field today, and the job has to be completed by end next week. or some such bs).

I swallowed my anger and called the former owner a few minutes ago to let him know the situation and ask if he had a church friend or someone who could rescue the dog. The center wouldn't let him take her back, and frankly I wouldn't either. But hoping (no stone unturned and all that) he might know someone more responsible.

FYI - if you talk to a shelter and you're told "don't worry, the dog will be taken to a no-kill shelter, she'll be fine," don't take it as a certainty. Follow up with the shelter. I .was assured this was the case, then the director (same one who gave Diamond another few days of life so I could try to find a new owner - so it's hard to be too mad at her, I guess.) tells me there's no way I would've been so misled. I musta been mistaken. Uh-huh. We went round but finally agreed this wouldn't help the dog get adopted.

If I can't find anyone to adopt her (or at least go check her out at the shelter where she's been penned up for 6 months) by 12pm Friday, I'm going to inform the shelter, and she'll be put down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom