• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vanilla cover scent?

I have a very sappy pine in my back yard that I break chunks of it and use as cover scent on my boots walking in and also placed around my stand.
I've also used a synthetic pine spray that smells pretty natural to me.
It's less sticky than actual pine sap.
I've had some successful hunts last season using this cover scent.
I also like to break pine branches and throw them in a box with all my hunting clothes and boots overnight.
I've also been able to attract deer to freshly scraped earth.

For some reason they come right up to spots that I uncovered on my way in .
This is a good way to attract bucks I've learned and they don't even need pee, just freshly scraped earth.

Scents are great but also noise will attract them and one thing I've learned on my own and confirmed it with a Native American friend of mine who hunts traditionally is that sometimes it's more
Helpful to attract deer by making noise instead of stalking especially when going up hill.

I've had does follow me up hills and come within six feet of me while walking in in the dimly lot morning while making noise.

I also had a buck turn and follow me after I saw him run up a hill.
I turned and ran up the opposite hill I just came down and he turned around and followed me.

So many meat things to learn while experimenting with deer on the woods.
I say try as many different things as possible and write down what works and what doesent.

Last edited:
I tried vanilla maybe 5-6 times and didn't even see a deer. I use Bowhunters fatal obsession early in the season. I had real good luck last using it.

I have a very sappy pine in my back yard that I break chunks of it and use as cover scent on my boots walking in and also placed around my stand.
I've also used a synthetic pine spray that smells pretty natural to me.
It's less sticky than actual pine sap.
I've had some successful hunts last season using this cover scent.
I also like to break pine branches and throw them in a box with all my hunting clothes and boots overnight.
I've also been able to attract deer to freshly scraped earth.

For some reason they come right up to spots that I uncovered on my way in .
This is a good way to attract bucks I've learned and they don't even need pee, just freshly scraped earth.

Scents are great but also noise will attract them and one thing I've learned on my own and confirmed it with a Native American friend of mine who hunts traditionally is that sometimes it's more
Helpful to attract deer by making noise instead of stalking especially when going up hill.

I've had does follow me up hills and come within six feet of me while walking in in the dimly lot morning while making noise.

I also had a buck turn and follow me after I saw him run up a hill.
I turned and ran up the opposite hill I just came down and he turned around and followed me.

So many meat things to learn while experimenting with deer on the woods.
I say try as many different things as possible and write down what works and what doesent.
I like to keep it natural also. Pine/ acorns/ walnuts/ cedar in my bag of hunting wear. Like to stomp/ roll walnut hulls under my boots before heading out