• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Varget users

Varget usually does better towards the top end of a load (especially with .223 heavy bullets), but 47gr under a 150gr M2 bullet sure shoots nice out of my Garand.

AHHH curiosity I do understand. Over the years I have accumulated a pretty diverse sampling of components for the very same reason. Most cartridges I have loaded seem to be more accurate with near full cases but the only way to know with your rifles is to experiment. Accuracy is a funny equation though. Lots more variables that just the powder. I would suggest if you do try it also try 3 or 4 different primers with it. They are more than likely your cheapest component and can make a huge difference.
Good luck I hope you find the magic combos.

I have done my fair share of tinkering with with different components over the years. Changed bullets, tried different primers, changed the charge weight by tenths of a grain and fooled with the OAL. But the one thing I never changed was the powder. My Dad had a partial can of it when I loaded my first batch, I went and got some more for us to share and have stuck with it. I tried to use 3031, but it just didn't work out like I had hoped. I will probably wind up just staying with what I know works, but simply buying more. It's been good to me for 22 years so I probably won't change a thing.

I've got some some loads that have a little magic in them, just keep hearing so much about this powder on other forums I can't help but to wonder how it would do.

It ain't easy to find one powder that performs really well for several bullet weights in the same caliber. One powder for several calibers is even harder. The biggest reason I like powders other than the IMR extruded types are their metering characteristics. Those sticks burn good and shoot accurate, but they're sure a pain going through most measures. Performance usually improves with higher density loads. In general I prefer near compressed loads when possible.

Most of mine are nearly compressed loads. I got a new Lee powder measure recently and it is wonderful with stick powders. No chopping or binding, slick as a whistle! Much better than the RCBS I had.

It ain't easy to find one powder that performs really well for several bullet weights in the same caliber. One powder for several calibers is even harder. The biggest reason I like powders other than the IMR extruded types are their metering characteristics. Those sticks burn good and shoot accurate, but they're sure a pain going through most measures. Performance usually improves with higher density loads. In general I prefer near compressed loads when possible.
\\

Varget isn't the only game in town, and it meters like ... expetative deleted

Yep. Lyman's latest shows a 48 GR of H380 over a 150 GR FMJBT .308 as their most accurate load, and it's nearly a full case load.
My FNAR loves it in the inexpensive Winchester 147 FMJBT ...

BTW: H380 meters like water and is indicated as the Greek NATO load for both 30-06 and .308 ... both with a really good reputation for consistent accuracy.
BLC-2 is also verygood .223 powder and also meters well ... and consistentancy is a nice side effect.

I use Varget because if performs well in just about all of the rifle cartridges that I load. I have used it for .204 Ruger, .223, 7mm-08, 308, and 30.06, if I could find load data for 45/70 and 30-30, it would be the perfect powder.

I am soon to start loading .308 for my M1A and have a pound each of Varget and IMR4895 to experiment with. If Varget is going to be inconsistent from lot to lot that would be a deal breaker for me, consistancy is the name of the game! Once I go through these one pounders I was planning to buy a few 8# jugs so I guess I will keep that in mind with the Varget loads.

Back
Top Bottom