• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Varget users

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
I have been using IMR powders the entire time I have reloaded. Everywhere I go, even here, people are talking about how good Varget powder is. I have been thinking about trying some to see if I can get the same performance out of i that I do from IMR-4350

Somebody please tell me how it has worked out for you. How well do you like/dislike it and why.

I have heard that it is very clean, and it appears that you use a lot lighter charge to get the same velocity that I normally get. It has me very interested.

I use Vargay, it meters like ****, it varies from lot to lot but its temp insensitive.

Im fixing to switch to IMR4895 for my 308 loads and going to 8208 for 223 loads. Ill still load Vargay in 300savage cause dad likes the way it feels, and likes how it does behind 180's even though they dont group the best and his rifle would probably eat up 150's but he wants the 180's for knock down.

Buddy of mine did a test and with the same pressure between 4895 and Vargay the 4895 gave velocities of about 60fps more than the lot of Vargay he was using.

Personally I like Varget, use it in my Garand loads, Rem 742 30.06, and my Model 70 Winchester .243. Great powder, give it try, i think you'll like it. I can shoot nice tight groups at 100yrds.

It works well in a lot of different calibers. As stated above, it has suffered some lot to lot variations. I buy it 8lbs at time, so I don't have to deal with it very often. I like Reloader 19 as a more direct replacement for IMR 4350. It more closely compares in burn rate, and application than Varget. RL 19 meters a lot better than 4350, and delivers great performance in most applications that are 4350 appropriate. Varget is a great powder, but application would determine my choice. A near full case is a good thing in my opinion, so a lighter charge wouldn't really appeal to me. Varget's really great in .308 and many others, but I'd tend to lean more toward slower burning case filling powders like the RL 19 in the .270 Win., 280 Rem., or 30-06 family of cartridges.

Last edited:
Works well for me in 22-250 and .308. It's a lot cleaner than H380. What goals do you want to achieve by switching? IMR 4350 is a darn good powder and my go to powder for 30-06.

I load Varget in .308, .270 and 30-06. It is my choice on '06 only because I can load more rounds per pound of powder which is great in a Garand. I load it in .270 and .308 because at modest velocities it has always given the best accuracy. For best accuracy at *high* velocities in .270 R-22 edges out Varget in my .270. In .308 it's a wash between Varget and H-414. (4350, H4895, BL-c(2), H335, and all the Vhitavouri powders fell short). As far as a clean burn....it's got that, too, but no more so than any other "modern" powder in the same burn rate. Try a pound for 25 bucks...It's worth it.

Works well for me in 22-250 and .308. It's a lot cleaner than H380. What goals do you want to achieve by switching? IMR 4350 is a darn good powder and my go to powder for 30-06.

I was more curious than anything. The only thing I hoped to gain was to be able to load more shells with the same amount of powder, with the same speed and accuracy as before. IMR-4350 has always been a great powder for me, but between loading .270 for me, .30-06 for my son, .243 for us both and 30-30 for my wife a pound of powder doesn't last any time at all anymore.

I bought it to load 223 but after looking at a bunch of the reloading tables it looks like i'll be able to try it out in a few other calibers I reload but haven't gotten around to trying it in anything other than 223 for now.

Back
Top Bottom