• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vertical rifle rack plans or kits

A34

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone have building plans for a vertical rifle rack, or know where to buy a kit?

I wad thinking of countersinking a magnet in it to help hold the barrel. Has anyone else done this and if so, do you have a reccomendation on the magnet to use?

Thx!!

I recently decided to do something similar inside my safe. I bought these magnets and they are great - very strong, plastic covered, and already have screw holes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152319501001

On think I realized as I was laying it out was that every gun was different (some had tall sights, some had scopes, some had short barrels some had long barrels) so I drew it all out and then placed the magnets at the common denominator point for all. If I remember correctly it was 32" up and 3" out. That accommodated ARs, AKs, etc.

I built a pistol rack using countersunk rare earth magnets (https://www.kjmagnetics.com/ ) and found that was a pain. I bought magnets with a hole in the middle for a countersunk wood screw and then wrapped the finished product in electrical tape so as not to scratch the guns. The rack is mounted under a shelf so it's not visible but I still know it's there and I still know it's ugly... It was a pain and the plastic coated magnets above are worth the extra money, IMO.

Reactions: A34
1arack.jpg

I have made this style rack in the past. The base is set so the gun pitches back and gravity holds the gun barrel against the hook. No magnet needed.

I did it with a cabinet I got cheap. Took one of the shelves and used a hole saw to cut scallops in it, then cut the 2 pieces apart. Got some neodymium magnets from amazon, about 1/2 with a countersunk hole in the middle. Drill bit in the center so they sit flush. Finally got a roll of felt and glued it on the front.

Works well. The magnets aren't super strong, but you can feel resistance as you pull guns out. It obviously doesn't work on some due to length/stock. The only thing I might change is one less slot to have more room between each gun. I have a few with large changing handles or scope turrets that hit each other

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom