• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Vietnam the war that's never taught

I was eating dinner the other night in uniform and a gentlemen came up to me and said " Thanks for your service" we got to talking and turns out he is a Vietnam Vet. We got to talking about how awful they were treated when they came home.

I can't imagine what they went through coming home to an ungrateful nation. I picked up his tab (waiter didnt understand that I wanted to pay for both his and his wife's meal) and my Lt picked up his wife's tab.

I was eating dinner the other night in uniform and a gentlemen came up to me and said " Thanks for your service" we got to talking and turns out he is a Vietnam Vet. We got to talking about how awful they were treated when they came home.

I can't imagine what they went through coming home to an ungrateful nation. I picked up his tab (waiter didnt understand that I wanted to pay for both his and his wife's meal) and my Lt picked up his wife's tab.

No soldier of any foreign conflict should ever be treated with anything but the utmost respect and dignity, regardless of anyone's opinion of the conflict itself. They are soldiers - sent to do a job that most of us can't or won't for not a lot of pay and at risk of their own lives. The way returning vets were treated then is despicable. I was (eventually) very against the second Iraq war, but have nothing but praise for those who went and did their duty to their country.

Those old starlight scopes were used on OP's as well during the period. Mounted on little tripods, staring through one for a couple of hours could really screw your vision. We have come a long way in night vision.

ETA: Great pictures of American and Vietnamese history.

uploadfromtaptalk1411630888223.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411630896611.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411630904686.jpg

Back
Top Bottom