• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

volvo fuel pump question

jaf1

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
193   0
Reaction score
have 1990 Volvo 760 turbo, was running ,but one of the pumps was weak, replaced tank pump(major PIA)started it to make sure it was OK, replaced frame mounted pump and nothing, pulled line from tank pump and there is nothing, can hear pump running ,but no fuel, any ideas besides tannerite?

The tank pump should have had an access door in the floor of the truck to remove it . What brand pump did you use ? I have had issues in the past with Airtex pumps . Fuel filter ? Have you checked the pressure with a gauge ? How is the regulator ?

Replaced pumps (Delphi),filter and regulator replaced,nothing coming from tank line,read something about priming pump,but no specifics,just don't want to do the tank pump again, could be faulty ,I've bought a bunch of broken out of the box crap this year,

have 1990 Volvo 760 turbo, was running ,but one of the pumps was weak, replaced tank pump(major PIA)started it to make sure it was OK, replaced frame mounted pump and nothing, pulled line from tank pump and there is nothing, can hear pump running ,but no fuel, any ideas besides tannerite?
did you replace the pick up sock ...its usually that big black gooy spot on the bottom of the tank...or the obvious fuel filter in backwards or stopped up ,volvo and sabbs used a disc like rubber pickup that attached to the bottom of the fuel pick up line..it was believe it or not .. tie wrapped from the factory..if you pulled it out and it wasnt attached to the pump..you have a major issue lying at the bottom of the tank

Last edited:
Pump assembly came out intact,new sock installed,didn't run long enough to suck up anything,starting to think it was running on gas in the line after tank pump replacement

Pump assembly came out intact,new sock installed,didn't run long enough to suck up anything,starting to think it was running on gas in the line after tank pump replacement
possible crack in return line will cause pump cavitation..check fuel pressure at the port..try to bleed air out with pump running and test gage to get air out

Where filler tube goes in ,it slides into large rubber tube that has a smaller tube that runs off of it to somewhere, the large hose split to just shy of where the smaller tube connects,could that be my problem,was a bitch getting that rubber tube off and back on,thanks

I'd get a hand held vacuum pump and try pulling gas thru the line

We had a Chevy pickup with a frame mounted pump and if it ran out of gas it wouldn't prime itself

But if we pulled a vac on the line and got some gas into the pump it was fine

Also if you have to drop the tank again. Check closely the rubber line that goes from the pump to the fitting where it passes thru the tank

I've seen a lot of pumps get blamed when it's just that line leaking back into the tank and losing pressure

If you're pump is running and not producing enough pressure. That's likely the problem

Back
Top Bottom