• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Volvo XC 90 question

TacticalMedic

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
I have an 06 XC90 2WD SUB with the 2.5T motor in it. It's my work car, great overall shape but just has high miles, like 180,000 high. The timing belt broke the other day at highway speed. Just snapped in half. Not sure about the valves yet. Curious on weather it's an interference motor or not, also how to check if the valves are bent and if it's worth fixing, if it's just the timing belt I have more time then money and some buddies at work with the know how I could get to help. Just want any input. I should I just tow it to the scrap yard and see what I can get? Thanks in advance. Happy Thanksgiving too!

Sorry to hear the belt broke. I had a 960 with a 2.9 liter straight six. Great motor. The 2.5 is the same design with 1 less cylinder.

If the belt broke, 99% your pistons hit the valves. Minimum you'll need a cylinder head, timing belt.

Beware though. Many times if you replace a head, or have one re worked it will cause compression ring failure after a short while, ESPECIALLY with high mileage. The worn compression rings won't hold up to the increased compression from the valves seating tighter. I have seen this a BUNCH of times. Just an FTI

Back
Top Bottom