• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

VW TDI Diesel

silverado31794

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
130   0
Reaction score
Does anyone own one or have had one in the past? I'm going to start looking for a car probably in the next month or so and park my truck for a while. And the VW diesel has caught my eye. I know diesel here is $4 a gallon but they get great fuel mileage. Or know anyone wanting to get rid of one? All opinions will be appreciated.

I have been doing a lot of research on this myself, and a guy on here has a Jetta. My main complaint about them is the service cost, and on the Passat, you have the adblue which is similar to DEF. The 40k mile service is $700-$800. I will say the Passat is a nice car and mileage is best in its class, but if you are looking for a little run around for work to save gas, I'm probably going to stick to the original plan and go with the 2012/2013 Focus. I can grab a certified preowned with 30k miles with 100k mile warranty, hatchback, for around $14,000.

That is my take on it of course.

I have a 2011 Jetta TDI diesel purchased from Pipkins, down the road from you in Valdosta.

Just turned 60K miles, not a minute of problems and average at 41.7 MPG for mostly highway usage to work daily (25 mile one way travel to work).

I am in Tifton often (Live in Irwin County) if you want to check it out.

I have a 2011 Jetta TDI diesel purchased from Pipkins, down the road from you in Valdosta.

Just turned 60K miles, not a minute of problems and average at 41.7 MPG for mostly highway usage to work daily (25 mile one way travel to work).

I am in Tifton often (Live in Irwin County) if you want to check it out.
I may be in touch with you. Have you done anything to it like a cold air kit or any other diesel ad ons?

I have been doing a lot of research on this myself, and a guy on here has a Jetta. My main complaint about them is the service cost, and on the Passat, you have the adblue which is similar to DEF. The 40k mile service is $700-$800. I will say the Passat is a nice car and mileage is best in its class, but if you are looking for a little run around for work to save gas, I'm probably going to stick to the original plan and go with the 2012/2013 Focus. I can grab a certified preowned with 30k miles with 100k mile warranty, hatchback, for around $14,000.

That is my take on it of course.

I'm not a ford man so Id prolly look into a Chevy. Fords are good but they are real uncomfortable. I had to drive a focus wagon to Macon for a week an I was never glad to get out of a vehicle than I was that one.

I'm not a ford man so Id prolly look into a Chevy. Fords are good but they are real uncomfortable. I had to drive a focus wagon to Macon for a week an I was never glad to get out of a vehicle than I was that one.

You better suck up your pride. The new Focus is really comfortable, awesome interior, and quality all around. Something you won't get with a Chevy. That is plain fact when it comes to cars bud. I would really recommend test driving a new Focus, if you go open minded, you will be impressed :) I drove one for a week and put a lot of miles on it. Got 42mpg highway with the sedan SEL.

I had a 2002 Jetta and put just over 300k on it. I can tell you from experaince change the timing belt at the recommended mileage becasue they are zero clearance engines and will trash the valve train at a minimum if it breaks. The only other issue I had with mine wsa the alternator went out at about 130K. Got great fuel mileage if i ever go back to commuting from Blue Ridge to Atlanta again I will buy another one.

The 40K , 50K service for the Jetta did not require anything extreme.

The 60K service needed fuel filter, something else, but the additional cost was not extreme.

I have not had any cold air kit or any other diesel ad ons.

Back
Top Bottom