• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

VW TDI Diesel

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen purchased new with just over 30k miles. I like the fuel mileage, the cargo room, and fast acceleration with this car. I'm typically a GM guy. It's is my first VW. So far the maintenance cost have been paid by VW. I would recommend this vehicle. Mine is equipped with a DSG automatic transmission that had the valve body replaced at around 8k miles.

I have an 06 tdi that I bought new and am very pleased so far. Except for the timing belt I've done all the maint myself and its been very simple. MPG continues to get better with age commuting 80 miles a day to atl and now avg almost 43 mph. The only problem I've had so far is the headliner has come loose in places and one of the cva boots has just started leaking. Overall very reliable economy car with midsize interior room.

We've had 3,
a 98 Beetle , a 2000 Golf and a 2001 Beetle

stay far FAR away from the automatic trans, the DSG is ok and the manuals are ok

personally Id stay away from anything newer than mid 2000's the high pressure PD engines had lots of issues.

my 00 Golf had 300K on it, no problems,

the alternator on Mrs Roundhouse's Beetle keeps failing, and its a 6- 8 hr job to change it.

with the new Kias and Hyundias and Mazdas getting 40 mpg, the money saving just isnt there anymore, with the extra cost of the engine and the extra cost of the fuel. You've seen the price of diesel lately??? currently some places its 75 CENTS more than gasoline, at the SAME station.

I bought the golf when I was driving 900 miles a week, got it used on ebay for cheap, my 4 runner got 16 and the $3000 golf got 43

I have never and will NEVER buy a brand new vehicle, the depreciation is just too much, and they are needlessly complex
even on the 2001 Beetle, the heater fan control switch isnt connected ot the heater fan, it tells the computer what speed you want, and the computer tells the fan.
Same thing with the power windows, needlessly complex, just something else to break,

we recently bought a very nice 7 yr old Expedition that cost $53K new, we paid $6k on ebay

unless you just like the VWs I wouldnt get one just for the mpg, cause the new ones dont get the mpg that the older ones do.

a mid 90;s to mid 2000;s VW diesel will get 40-45, the new ones get 31-ish with all the emission crap on em. plus once its out of warrenty you wont be able to afford the repairs. the rad hose for the 2001 Beetle is $98 dealer only item, etc etc.

lots of gas cars now get better mpg than the diesels.

I swear, if anything major goes wrong with the Expy or the Beetle, Im gonna get a 89 K-5 Blazer, and Mrs Roundhouse is gonna be driving a 93 Cherokee or something I can work on.

If you want mpg, you cant beat a Prius, a friend of mine bought a new one last year, $22K out the door, and they cant get it under 50 mpg no matter how they drive it. lot more room in the back seat than youd expect.

Last edited:
i have an 05 jetta tdi. Love it but just about to turn over 200k so i'll probably sell it in the near future. but that's just me, the engines are good for 300k+ miles.

I used to drive about 60k miles a year for work, and you just change the oil (VW spec oil isn't cheap but it's the best for the motor) and timing belt every 100k miles, and tires and you're good to go. 5 speed manual, plenty of torque to pull my aluminum trailer and dirt bike (and still get 35+ mpg with the trailer).

overall, great car. wish there were other options out there for diesels like in europe. I test drove an Audi A3 TDI the other day. much nicer interior, more sporty, really liked it but not much price difference between a CPO and new one. have another buddy with a newer sportwagon and he loves his. I usually always get 40+ mpg with mine, regardless of driving conditions, etc. Plus the durability is great. I have considered a hybrid but doubt it would tow my trailer and I don't know how expensive it would be to drive for 200k+ miles (ie. battery replacement?)??? the more freeway you do the more the diesel is better. if you do a lot of city driving the hybrid might be better?

I drive a 2001 Jetta I bought new, I now have 320k miles and the car has been great. I average 47-49 MPG and have had no major issues. I installed sprint 520 injectors and a stage 3 rocket chip. It runs mid 15's In the 1/4 and dyno's 260 torque to the wheels at 1900rpm's, great mileage without sacrificing performance, a great combo. BTW This car has been modded since it had 3k miles, these are tough engines. If you are looking at an older one I would stick with the common rail, they are more dependable than the 2004 + pumpe deuce.

Back
Top Bottom