• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Walmart Banned for life. (merged threads)

So it is standing Tennessee law. Not a law being created by Walmart.

Do you know what the posting requirements are?

area/building/property posted with a notice per T.C.A. § 39-17-1359.[1]T.C.A. § 39-17-1359[1]

Notice of the prohibition shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted. The code says the sign must be the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle or the sign must contain wording in English that is "substantially similar" to that used in the code; substantially similar being defined as such: The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law; Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense. See TN AG Opinion No 07-43.[9]Notwithstanding T.C.A. § 39-17-1359,[1]vehicle transportation of a loaded firearm is allowed under T.C.A. § 39-17-1313[1] as long as the firearm is secured in the handgun carry permit holder's privately owned vehicle and is not visible to "ordinary observation"

area/building/property posted with a notice per T.C.A. § 39-17-1359.[1]T.C.A. § 39-17-1359[1]

Notice of the prohibition shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted. The code says the sign must be the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle or the sign must contain wording in English that is "substantially similar" to that used in the code; substantially similar being defined as such: The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law; Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense. See TN AG Opinion No 07-43.[9]Notwithstanding T.C.A. § 39-17-1359,[1]vehicle transportation of a loaded firearm is allowed under T.C.A. § 39-17-1313[1] as long as the firearm is secured in the handgun carry permit holder's privately owned vehicle and is not visible to "ordinary observation"
:tsk:

No, seriously. How can a sign posted by a company have the weight of law? Maybe no trespassing signs posted correctly can make a first contact on the property criminal trespass, but I don't see how a "No Guns" sign posted by them can make it illegal to carry a gun when it otherwise would be legal. Does Tennessee law make it legal for them to arbitrarily make new law?

I have often argued that a private company or individual can make whatever rules they want for their property and it you don't like them you have to leave when asked or commit the crime of criminal trespass if you don't, but they can't change the law with a sign.
They aren't "changing the law" or "making a new law." The law itself says that the signs must be displayed and do carry the force of law. T.C.A. § 39-17-1359 is the exact section of the code where it describes the details.

I see you beat me to it. :yo:

I have not been in a Wally World for years and recently tried shopping at one. What a painful experience, unorganized, messy, nobody around to help you, 2 cashiers and 20 self checkout lanes. The woman in front of me had problems scanning a item and there was no one to assist her. Wal-Mart is no go for me.
Last week I went in one of the smaller village market stores on my way home on a beer run. That little store has better beer selection than the full size store in Perry. But once again nothing open but self scan checkouts. So I scanned my Bud Ice and waited...and waited some more. Around the 5 minute mark I raised my voice good and loud and asked " Any of y'all sumbitches working today or are you just standing around collecting a check? " And then suddenly a pissed off looking woman appeared out of nowhere to check my license.
If you're gonna sell beer and cigarettes ( and in Wal-Mart's case spray paint shoe polish keyboard cleaner,white out cough medicine etc.) Then to ME you damn well better have a live human employee up front ready to okay my sale.

Back
Top Bottom