• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want to hunt - need some guidance

Stigz115

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
66   0
Reaction score
Hey ODT,
I wanted to finally pop my hunting cherry this season, but from the few people I've talked to they've said stay off WMAs.
I wanted to see what you guys thought , where some good WMAs were for deer and hog, or maybe there's a club I could join for my first few hunts. I was probably going to run a savage 308 I have for both hog and deer.

Thanks in advance.

get a reg book or go on line
they have a list of WMA's & map
and look at your options

also note the quota hunts
at this late time you may be limited to open hunts only; and there are quite a few

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/
Log on to gohuntgeorgia.com and create a quota hunt profile.
You have until the end of the month to apply for quota hunts.
1) Apply for WMA quota-follow the selection odds in the regs to see which hunts offer the best chance to draw with no priority points. Some hunts will be hard to get without at least a few priority points.
There are deer, turkey, hog hunts, etc. Each species that you apply for will have separate points systems.
If you don't get drawn for that particular hunt you will earn a point that can be wagered for next year and will place you at a higher priority level for each point accumulated.

2) Apply for National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) quota hunts. Piedmont NWR, for example, has a few quota hunts each year. You can apply and get drawn for one hunt and then buy un-issued permits for the other hunts that don't meet the 1250 person quota for $12.50 each on a first come, first serve basis. They don't use a points system so each year you start with a clean slate. Federal officers police these hunts and are hard core. Don't cross them. Abide by their rules. They enforce them sternly.

3) Show up and hunt at non-quota WMA hunts. These hunts do not have a limited number of spots available. All WMA hunts are posted in the regulations. Read the regs from the front to back.

4) Apply for State Park quota hunts. They have points systems that are separate from the WMA hunts.

FYI:
You will see other hunters in the woods. Some will walk up on you or hunt within sight of you sometimes. Some may not have any common sense or any regard for other hunters. It's all part of public land hunting. Don't let it bother you. Hunt deeper in the woods and you will encounter less hunters as most won't venture far off of the beaten path.
I like to hunt WMA during the week. There are less hunters in the woods then. Scout a lot and then scout some more.
I hope this helps.

The best thing you can do is just show up!

By all means, learn the regs, do plenty of scouting, find good spots along game trails... But your best tool will be your patience and perseverance... The more your butt is on the stand the better your odds of bagging one...

Also: The best advise I ever got about hunting was to shoot the first legal thing that walks out. Youll get the monkey off your back and meat in the fridge. I have never regreted shooting a small buck early in the season but have gotten skunked before because I passed up a small buck waitn on something bigger.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Try Oaky Woods wma, I've been twice and saw deer both times and was lucky enough to double on the second trip. Hunt the middle of the day when everyone else is out.

Back
Top Bottom