• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want to hunt - need some guidance

I've hunted Dawson Forest WMA since the early 80's and haven't had a single problem there.

(Except for the time I tried to put an 8 point in the trunk of a 1980 Z28 Camaro alone.
I thought somebody was going to find us both dead....) :becky:

There are fewer hunters than ever before on that WMA.
There are 5 separate tracts of land, I've hunted 4 of them and took deer on 3.
(There's deer and bear sign all over that Burnt Mtn. tract, but it's tough terrain to hunt (for an old guy) and I haven't even seen a deer there).

I hunt the Chattahoochee National Forest and have taken just a few deer there when I can't hunt the WMA, but the few I've taken are the biggest deer I've taken in Georgia.
I swear to you it's possible to mistake some of the big does for Elk! lol
Seriously though huge deer.....

I've hunted Blue Ridge WMA and Chestatee WMA, I've seen and taken deer on Blue Ridge, but missed an opportunity on Chestatee and haven't hunted it for many years. Blue Ridge WMA is where @hikingthehills hosts the annual trout fishing M&G.

I don't see any reason to hunt very far from the house, the closest place is fine with me.
Just learn the area, scout like everyone has said, so you don't waste your time.

I hunted the Coastal Islands, Sapelo, Ossabaw and Cumberland and had a lot of luck there. I found that investing time and funds in a good hunting club is the easiest way to start being successful I hunt almost exclusively during the week also. Squirrel hunting will get you into the places you need to be and teach you shooting, and woods skills. I have found most of my deer hunting areas hunting squirrels

Back
Top Bottom