• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want to know why you cant find any .22 LR?

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score
Here's a great article from the Sierra X ring newsletter.
http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/why-cant-i-find-22-lr-ammunition/

Here's an excerpt

Demand – Now we are getting to the real meat of the issue. You hear manufactures say they are running 24/7 on their Rimfire lines which is putting somewhere around 25-30 million rounds PER DAY (estimate on my part from numbers I have heard from the big rimfire guys) into the market – so how can there be a shortage? I have asked this myself – until we start doing even a little basic math. You hear all kind of numbers about how many firearms owners are in the USA, but you hear 70-80 million quite often. So for the sake of us not arguing that number – let’s cut it to 35 million. Do you know a gun owner that does not own at least one firearm chambered in .22 LR? Do you know any that are not looking for .22 LR ammo or would at least buy some if they saw it for normal prices? How many would they buy when they found it? A lot – right? But again, just to keep the argument on the low end, let’s say they would all be satisfied with just a single 500 pack. 35 million multiplied by 500 .22 LR rounds for them all – is 17.5 BILLION rounds. Let that sink in. Even at 25 million rounds being made PER DAY – that is 1.92 years’ worth of production.

yep there's a lot to it.

and then you have some people that can offer up 7 cases of .22s..same brand and a common type found at WM.
Bingo...a lot of folks are supplementing wages with their access. If nothing else employees are selling to a certain few who are kicking back to them. This is their moment. They havent had one before.

Did anyone actually read the article?
It's a very informative read.
There is a heck of a lot more to the " .22 shortage " than flippers and gougers.
I would think a bullet makers insight, even though they don't produce rimfire ammo, would give a pretty good explanation as to what's really going on.

Back
Top Bottom