• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want to know why you cant find any .22 LR?

Is it bad of me to buy 3 of the last 5 remaining 22 mag ammo at walmart when I don't even have a 22 mag to shoot them in?.....of course the guy next to me bought the last two so it didn't last long.

I still plan to buy a 22 mag somday, so when I do it'll be nice to have ammo if things don't level out.

I think we are all part of the problem. At least the other ammo on the shelves have stayed in stock lately. Thankfully I reload so that was never an issue for me.

If you didn't buy them, someone else would have. I am considering a 10mm pistol. I was going to buy some boxes before I got the gun so I would be ahead of the game. However, the price of 10mm and the fact almost nobody seems to stock a good supply, has me second guessing my want for this caliber.

Remember the Carter era fuel shortage. I think it's the same deal. Manipulation of prices through the creation of a false shortage to increase profits.

If the manufacturers can supply the market with higher margin products at a level that keeps people worried and buying what they don't need, while they keep stringing along the masses by witholding the least profitable, most commonly used types, their profits remain solid.

Possible but the other day they got in 70 boxes and it was gone in 2 hours.

Just CCI put out over 4 million a day.
my post was in response to retail sales level employee rumor that they had pallets of 22 lr stacked in the warehouse and just brought out a few boxes a week. That isnt true. The counter guy doesnt understand basic economics or biz practices.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you didn't buy them, someone else would have. I am considering a 10mm pistol. I was going to buy some boxes before I got the gun so I would be ahead of the game. However, the price of 10mm and the fact almost nobody seems to stock a good supply, has me second guessing my want for this caliber.

Reloading for the 10mm isn't so bad if you really want one. I use my S&W 1066 as a ccw and use my reloads in both that and my 10mm AR-15. But yeah, those prices are pretty high for the full power loads that the 10mm is known for. I just picked up 7 box's of Barnes 155gr for the 10mm to try out. When you can find the deals & buy in bulk, reloading is great for saving money.

Been looking but can't confirm that most gov't FBI DHD and a couple more have gone over to 22 trainers just like most of us do. If anybody knows for sure let us know.

Prob retail employee rumors. Why wouldnt they sell it? Having stored in inventory when it could be cash/rev makes no biz sense.
unless it artificially keeps the market price high

but i agree, traditionally and in this sense i dont see a profit to be made by hanging onto inventory

Here's a great article from the Sierra X ring newsletter.
http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/why-cant-i-find-22-lr-ammunition/

Here's an excerpt

Demand – Now we are getting to the real meat of the issue. You hear manufactures say they are running 24/7 on their Rimfire lines which is putting somewhere around 25-30 million rounds PER DAY (estimate on my part from numbers I have heard from the big rimfire guys) into the market – so how can there be a shortage? I have asked this myself – until we start doing even a little basic math. You hear all kind of numbers about how many firearms owners are in the USA, but you hear 70-80 million quite often. So for the sake of us not arguing that number – let’s cut it to 35 million. Do you know a gun owner that does not own at least one firearm chambered in .22 LR? Do you know any that are not looking for .22 LR ammo or would at least buy some if they saw it for normal prices? How many would they buy when they found it? A lot – right? But again, just to keep the argument on the low end, let’s say they would all be satisfied with just a single 500 pack. 35 million multiplied by 500 .22 LR rounds for them all – is 17.5 BILLION rounds. Let that sink in. Even at 25 million rounds being made PER DAY – that is 1.92 years’ worth of production.

yep there's a lot to it.

Here is something else I found:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/Impossible-22-rimfire

Really cool article....

That round is actually pretty tough to make. Really tough to make in large numbers with good quality.

Back
Top Bottom