• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Want to test your fundamentals....

Yes. There is not a Ladies class scheduled in the next week or so but I'm putting some prospective dates on there for Mar.
We have A LOT of ladies who are wanting to come out next month.
One class we'll be doing is specifically for mom's w/ young (3-13 yrs. old or so) children & the other one is for "senior moms" who some of which need a little more help & patience to achieve their goals.
I've learned not to underestimate some of those ladies... they're COMMITTED & will quickly shoot an attacker in the face of groin I believe.

Sounds like someone I know...LOL...

I have trained in northern Norway during February, 2 weeks of ops. Minus 42 was the lowest I recall, average temp was in the 0 to minus 10, but the wind chill was truly awful. Tears freeze and blind you without eye protection. Pounding in aluminum tent stakes with frozen bananas, the stakes break......

We ran rifles with a special lube, same as our howitzers. Special stuff for the fuel mix, diesel vehicles could not be shut down for more than an hour at a time. Fuel filters did not like that stuff, clogged all the time.

Cold changes everything! Even the MRE's were almost unusable due to being hard frozen. Tracked vehicles do not grip the ice either. Had a M577 command post slide down a road and go over a guard rail, hanging over the North Sea. The trailer it was towing saved it by getting hung in the rail.

Funny, by day 4 we were "used" to the cold, anything over 20 degrees was shirtsleeve weather. Using the "thunderbox" was a chore out in the cold.....

I have trained in northern Norway during February, 2 weeks of ops. Minus 42 was the lowest I recall, average temp was in the 0 to minus 10, but the wind chill was truly awful. Tears freeze and blind you without eye protection. Pounding in aluminum tent stakes with frozen bananas, the stakes break......

We ran rifles with a special lube, same as our howitzers. Special stuff for the fuel mix, diesel vehicles could not be shut down for more than an hour at a time. Fuel filters did not like that stuff, clogged all the time.

Cold changes everything! Even the MRE's were almost unusable due to being hard frozen. Tracked vehicles do not grip the ice either. Had a M577 command post slide down a road and go over a guard rail, hanging over the North Sea. The trailer it was towing saved it by getting hung in the rail.

Funny, by day 4 we were "used" to the cold, anything over 20 degrees was shirtsleeve weather. Using the "thunderbox" was a chore out in the cold.....

It's amazing how your body acclimatizes to weather.
I rode around 1000 miles over 2 days on my motorcycle last Feb./Mar. when the weather was in the low to mid 30's at night & mid 40's in the day. Whiile I was very cold at night it was fine during the day. I had been riding a lot last year around that time.

Today over the 2 hr. trip both ways to the gunshow I was really cold although the air temp. wasn't really that cold.
I haven't been riding much so it felt much colder than it really was.

When you were in Norway, did you ever here of the "Jaegers"?

I never got the blue ribbon for Artic Service but I'm wondering if we should have for service in the Northern Adriatic Sea during the dead of winter. Doors pinned back on UH-1N, outboard boot resting on a rocket pod. Inboard boot and foot down in a helmet bag trying to thaw out. Leaning on a .50 or a mini depending on which side of the plane we were on...that's the coldest i think i've ever been, those were the days.

In Fort Wainwright (Fairbanks, AK) I ran a practical shoot course in -20, in March. Most if our Soldiers would drop their magazines during reload due to numb fingers. I would walk behind and pick them up and fire their unused rounds. That was a very cold range. Most days in the winter up there we would stay indoors and clear rooms except for P.T. we still ran outside.

The temperatures in Fairbanks normally get down to -50 to -60 in late December and January.
-20 is the coldest range I recall shooting on.
You cannot take your cold guns inside at these temps the condensation will cause rust or ice.

Continuing along the same subject... Had a couple come up from Atlanta today to do a morning class. It was 29 when I hit the range around 8:30.
I did start a fire in the fire ring so that they could at least warm up between exercises.
Love to see that kind of dedication.

I will say though that the majority of the people buying Christmas gift certificates now have decided that they will do the classroom now but want to hold off for the range sessions till the weather warms up.

Back
Top Bottom