• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

warhorse photo shoot

My WW2 war horse relived the harsh cold it saw back in the 40's today. Functioned like a champ. Planning at trip to Anniston next week to get my first M1 Garand. It's funny I went through all the hassle to make a SBR AR for my light woods rifle, but this carbine is still the one that always goes with me.
View attachment 654007 View attachment 654008

You may want to call the CMP store first, recently they only had Rack Grades, which are VERY rough and loose wear measures although you might luck out on a decent shooter.

This week not even rack Grades according to the CMP Forum. Field Grdades and Service Grades are going straight to mail orders and not the store shelves.

You sould still buy a "Special" a Garand w new Criterion barrel and new CMP stock, a great shooter but not as collectable. You could drop 2 grand on an M1D replica sniper

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Hope inventory improves or you will have to mail order and take the luck of the draw.

Well I FINALLY got my first Garand this morning. Not sure if he minds be mentioned but a guy on here saw my post in this thread, and knew what skimp pickings the CMP has to offer now and helped me out by allowing me to purchase a gorgeous August of 1943 Springfield Garand, it's barrel has great muzzle and throat readings and sharp rifling so she should be a good shooter. It is now a prize in my collection and will join my 1943 Rock-Ola Carbine in my permanent collection. Who knows they could have been fighting side by side in WW2. Oh and a member on here a long time ago ago gave me a bayonet that he wasn't sure what it fit....well it fits the Garand. Great day, now off to work.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Well I FINALLY got my first Garand this morning. Not sure if he minds be mentioned but a guy on here saw my post in this thread, and knew what skimp pickings the CMP has to offer now and helped me out by allowing me to purchase a gorgeous August of 1943 Springfield Garand, it's barrel has great muzzle and throat readings and sharp rifling so she should be a good shooter. It is now a prize in my collection and will joint my 1943 Rock-Ola Carbine in my permanent collection. Who knows they could have been fighting side by side in WW2. Oh and a member on here a long time ago ago gave me a bayonet that he wasn't sure what it fit....well it fits the Garand. Great day, now off to work. View attachment 656498View attachment 656499View attachment 656500

Get some Garand safe ammo now. CMP has spam cans of 4 bandoleers on Enblocs 196 rounds for $115. That's a deal, better get a few because shooting that beast is addictive! Congratulations

Oh I am next pay check I'm picking a case or two up, and then I'm also going to be reloading for it, already set up for .30-06 so just have to load some for the Garands lower pressure curve.

Little update guys, on the Garand, the serial/receiver dates it to August of 1943.

Took her all apart and dated every part this morning using the drawing numbers and design variances and every part I looked at is Springfield armory and every part also with exception of the barrel dates between 1943-1945. Not sure on the sights yet as I haven't taken them off but every little part other than the sights, and they may to, falls in that range. The barrel is Springfield armory but if I'm reading the date correctly was rebarrled in September of 56', and the stock is an unmarked older replacement, at least I don't see a marking.

How close do parts need to match date wise to be considered period correct?

Back
Top Bottom