Weighing Brass

The same amount of powder in cases with different volumes causes larger ES numbers (thus effecting long range accuracy). However, I'm aggressive in culling brass based on neck thickness which seems to help with the case weights as well.

different pressure. Yes your putting the same amount of powder in each case, but if one case is heavier that means the wall are thicker. Hence you have same amount of powder but in a smaller space that equals higher pressure.

Last edited:
different pressure. Yes your putting the same amount of powder in each case, but if one case is heavier that means the wall are thicker. Hence you have same amount of powder but in a smaller space that equals higher pressure.

very few actually have the same amt of powder in each case,"only a hand full of scales can produce this" add this to all other factors and the tolerance stack begins. the tighter powder window the more tolerance window on brass or vice versa. either way you wanna skin the cat. buy the brass, buy the scales....scales are easier to find these days. you gotta pay to play with either ideoligy

if I shot off a bench... id run lapua , but I cant justify shuckin 50+ $1 bills off the top of a roof or down in a rock barricade at a precision tactical rifle match. some guys do , but they usually show up in $50k vehicles and that def. aint me. either way will get ya where ya want to go

I personally don't think weighing brass matters. Where's the extra weight? You'll never know maybe it's in the base of the cartridge itself.... That won't effect volume.. Anneal , neck turn, bean scale powder for precision loads.. Neck tension is key.. I've shot 4" groups at 1200 yards with a 243 ackley and never weighted brass..

I have seen it go both ways,thats why I started this post.Some people I know snoot matches and don't weigh theres and other people I know do.Today I loaded a proven load for one of my guns and used brass that weighed 2 grains difference.Going to see how they shoot.

Back
Top Bottom