• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Well that was my first and LAST public dove hunt.

It's amazing how sane and informed you are about SOME things. ;)
The thing I hate most about it is, it REALLY was not even remotely the experience I was hoping for my son... :(

If it had gone well, he would have shot a couple birds and went home like any other hunter. As it turned out, he'll be able to talk about surviving a public range filled with insane shooters. You two are more like war buddies now.

I wouldn't do it again either but there's always a bright side. :thumb:

If it had gone well, he would have shot a couple birds and went home like any other hunter. As it turned out, he'll be able to talk about surviving a public range filled with insane shooters. You two are more like war buddies now.

I wouldn't do it again either but there's always a bright side. :thumb:
Well there is that.... ;)
Reality is he never fired a shot and it was only a 50/50 chance if he would have in the best of situations. He's very gun shy unfortunately. I 'thought' sitting on a dove field watching the action from a distance vs for example having a deer rifle go off 2 feet from him, would be a better way of easing him into it. I was sadly mistaken. Oh well... hopefully more time in the squirrel woods for he and I and I'll just leave my gun behind.

As we were setting up Saturday at noon a saw a hunter shooting across the ground at a dove, when we got to our spot a neighbor came out from across the gravel road holding his neck wonder who shot him. I knew then it was going to be a great day.

LMAO

I was at the Dawson forest dove field same exact story. Literally people lined up every 10 yards all the way around the field scary! Stayed two hours only saw 2 birds and you would have thought it was WW3. Decided to make it home for the Georgia game, definatly the right call.

As we were setting up Saturday at noon a saw a hunter shooting across the ground at a dove, when we got to our spot a neighbor came out from across the gravel road holding his neck wonder who shot him. I knew then it was going to be a great day.
Dang.... on second thought, we had an AWESOME hunt!

Had a similar experience at a paid dove hunt... never again. A lot of the same crap happening. Even say some kids taking their dead doves, throwing them up in the air and shooting them again. Guys shooting at other birds that happen to be flying by.

You guys sound like a bunch of crybabies. If someone or his kid is doing something out of line next to you. correct the adult. If you don't want to do that move. I have been to public hunts for years and not had any problems. went this year with my kids and the field was packed. worked like a well oiled machine. also you left to early, that field is covered up with birds after 4. If someone wants to shoot at a bird a mile high, who gives a ****. If they shoot you , shoot them back

You guys sound like a bunch of crybabies. If someone or his kid is doing something out of line next to you. correct the adult. If you don't want to do that move. I have been to public hunts for years and not had any problems. went this year with my kids and the field was packed. worked like a well oiled machine. also you left to early, that field is covered up with birds after 4. If someone wants to shoot at a bird a mile high, who gives a ****. If they shoot you , shoot them back
Ha ha ;)

Back
Top Bottom