• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Went off track please delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys around here go to Central Georgia Technical College and take up heating and air. No way they work for 14 dollars an hour. After they get their license they can buy a 30 lb canister of freon for under 100 dollars and turn around and charge people 200 dollars a pound for a recharge.
No ship? Wow

My best friend has a two man show HVAC business in Athens, Georgia. His business name is The Maintenance Man. He graduated from Athen's Tech. He has been doing it for over 30 years. He says the estimates companies are giving people is obscene. When they come to him and show him the estimate he will knock several thousand dollars off the estimate and do the work. He said the money in the HVAC business is better than what a drug dealer earns....He spent two years in prison for selling cocaine when he was younger.

My best friend has a two man show HVAC business in Athens, Georgia. His business name is The Maintenance Man. He graduated from Athen's Tech. He has been doing it for over 30 years. He says the estimates companies are giving people is obscene. When they come to him and show him the estimate he will knock several thousand dollars off the estimate and do the work. He said the money in the HVAC business is better than what a drug dealer earns....He spent two years in prison for selling cocaine when he was younger.
The reason your buddy can do that is he doesn’t have much overhead! But at the end of the day he’s cutting his own throat and hurting the industry. I’m all about fair prices but I’ve got to eat also and get paid for my knowledge!

The reason your buddy can do that is he doesn’t have much overhead! But at the end of the day he’s cutting his own throat and hurting the industry. I’m all about fair prices but I’ve got to eat also and get paid for my knowledge!
I would like to see his work and guarantee and warranty for how many years and on his workmanship??

You are absolutely right and what a lot of throat cutters don't understand is a legitimate HVAC company has legitimate suppliers and if the suppliers catch wind of you cutting others throats and making their products look cheap they will not sell to you anymore they don't want to be known as cheap and don't want the cheap guy as their representative but all industries have Mr cheap in the truck and 90% of the time when you have a problem after Mr cheap has done his deal he never comes back and makes it right you would not believe how many times I have repaired Mr cheaps jobs and had a very happy now loyal client afterwards.
Your 100% correct the same here. Also if a company is using subs that’s another factor. Of course a 1 to 2 man show doing the job themselves can cut cost but there still killing the industry!

I would like to see his work and guarantee and warranty for how many years and on his workmanship??

I agree I understand 100’s off a quote but 1000’s that’s crazy and what cheap ass equipment is he using?

You are absolutely right and what a lot of throat cutters don't understand is a legitimate HVAC company has legitimate suppliers and if the suppliers catch wind of you cutting others throats and making their products look cheap they will not sell to you anymore they don't want to be known as cheap and don't want the cheap guy as their representative but all industries have Mr cheap in the truck and 90% of the time when you have a problem after Mr cheap has done his deal he never comes back and makes it right you would not believe how many times I have repaired Mr cheaps jobs and had a very happy now loyal client afterwards.

Your 100% correct the same here. Also if a company is using subs that’s another factor. Of course a 1 to 2 man show doing the job themselves can cut cost but there still killing the industry!

I look at it as I’m getting paid for what I know and the schooling I took and on job training! I like to think my time is valuable just like mechanics,electricians,teachers,lawyers ect!

WOW ... I did not intend or try to trigger such raw emotions from you guys.

My friend is licensed and insured. He has a couple of subdivisions in Athens that only use him when they have a problem. He has several big churches , pro athletes , dentists, and doctors that use him exclusively for their business , homes , and rental properties. He built his business because he does good work , gives good service, and does not rape people on pricing. He built his business by word of mouth. He always said/ says he could get three or four trucks and and try to be the biggest game in town and up sell people sh*t they don't really need because it is more profitable than repairing it. But that is not how he chooses to do business. He says there is enough work to be had by everyone. Lately he is seeing estimates for 10 to 20 thousand dollars that have about 2500 dollars worth of parts and supplies. The other thousands of dollars is what a greedy AC man charges for labor. He is not greedy and does not have the overhead....so yeah he can save the customer several thousand dollars and they are very happy. He can make several thousand dollars for a few hours work and he is very happy.

WOW ... I did not intend or try to trigger such raw emotions from you guys.

My friend is licensed and insured. He has a couple of subdivisions in Athens that only use him when they have a problem. He has several big churches , pro athletes , dentists, and doctors that use him exclusively for their business , homes , and rental properties. He built his business because he does good work , gives good service, and does not rape people on pricing. He built his business by word of mouth. He always said/ says he could get three or four trucks and and try to be the biggest game in town and up sell people sh*t they don't really need because it is more profitable than repairing it. But that is not how he chooses to do business. He says there is enough work to be had by everyone. Lately he is seeing estimates for 10 to 20 thousand dollars that have about 2500 dollars worth of parts and supplies. The other thousands of dollars is what a greedy AC man charges for labor. He is not greedy and does not have the overhead....so yeah he can save the customer several thousand dollars and they are very happy. He can make several thousand dollars for a few hours work and he is very happy.
First off repairing makes more money than replacing and if he’s seeing 10,000 to 20,000 dollar quotes there is no way 2500 is the cost of equipment unless the other companies are total crooks. Also when you upwards of 10,000 it’s probably high efficiency equipment which can run upwards of 6,000 and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom