• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s your favorite firearm right now?

This thing...
It's a work in progress, I opened up the gas port to .108 earlier to increase reliability with unsuppressed subs, definitely heading in the right direction cycles great now, Just doesn't quite lock back the bolt on an empty mag. May open up the port to .115. With all of the quick form 4 approvals lately hopefully I'll have my new can for it soon.

View attachment 6956511
Since you opened up the gas port then maybe think about a adjustable gas block. That way you can limit the gas flow when you are shooting full power loads. I think being able to control the gas flow would help limit the wear on the weapon especially when you have opened up the gas port and increasing the flow potential. That could potentially wreak havoc with standard ammo. I am sure you want to have the capability to use both in a pinch. It's just a thought and may be worth giving it a shot. Good luck sorting it out.

Today it's a vintage Savage 311 .410 marked Sears I picked up yesterday, last week it was a Savage 342 in .222 Rem, next week it will be a Marlin 783 22 Wmr as soon as the rest of the parts I ordered come in. Favorite is whatever I'm playing with that day.

image.jpg

Since you opened up the gas port then maybe think about a adjustable gas block. That way you can limit the gas flow when you are shooting full power loads. I think being able to control the gas flow would help limit the wear on the weapon especially when you have opened up the gas port and increasing the flow potential. That could potentially wreak havoc with standard ammo. I am sure you want to have the capability to use both in a pinch. It's just a thought and may be worth giving it a shot. Good luck sorting it out.
I've been considering possibly going with a superlative arms adjustable gas block I've read that they help with gassy suppressed guns

I've been considering possibly going with a superlative arms adjustable gas block I've read that they help with gassy suppressed guns
I put one on my 308 PA-10 from PSA. Before I modified it with a new barrel, heavy buffer, SA gas bleed off block and a better muzzle brake the gun recoil was literally painful. It felt like the buffer was slamming on the back of the buffer tube. I shot it four times and put it back in the case. After I put all that on the bleed of block was set at the factory to where it didn't have enough gas lock the bolt back. It took a good bit of adjustment to make that happen. Anyway my point is that it will greatly reduce gas pressure if need be. The good part of that particular block is the valve part is not exposed to the gas and won't fowl like a standard restrictive devise and it is completely serviceable. It also decreased the recoil to a amazing degree. I am putting one in my current build as well. Worth every dime.

Current favorite is my 642-1. I realize that’s pretty vanilla but right now it’s the one.

In a few months it will be a Savage 110 243. The reason it will be my favorite is that it’s my sons deer rifle and it being out means we are out. Always look forward to sitting in the swamp when the phone says SOS only.

Edit. I realized I had typed Ruger when in fact it’s a Savage 110 I just had a brain fart.
I was interested in looking back at my answer. My 642 is still one of my favorites. If I had to answer right now I would say it’s between my 19 and 43. May focus on just these two awhile and see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom