• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What a 308 does to a steel plate at 300 yards.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
The best we can tell two of more projectiles hit the same place and drilled right through it. Pretty cool is the of look like molten steel where it went through. I would have never thought it would have penetrated a steel plate at 300. It's at the very bottom. I
IMG_0550.jpg

Yeah, I have some AR500 plates and I've shot them with heavy and light 308 at a variety of distances. Worst I've seen (aside from chips from hitting the edge) was really minor dents.

Thats some soft steel. I’ve had a set of torsos for going on 3 years and have hit it with .308 many times at close range with nothing that looks like this. The only thing I’ve punched through one of my plates with was an incendiary .50 BMG round by accident (went through original target and plate was behind it.)

Nope definitely not AR500. I'd be careful shooting that. It's likely not destroying the projectile and sending them elsewhere.

3/8" AR500 will take all the 308 you can afford to shoot at it. Unless you are shooting something spicy not commercially available.

Back
Top Bottom