• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are the best set of knives for the house?

Well... I have a somewhat different suggestion. Buy very good cheap knives, and throw them away when they get dull. Meanwhile, run 'em through the dishwasher. The handles will fail about the time the blades do. And your $500 will last a very long time.

These aren't "show off" knives, but they are frighteningly sharp, and very cheap. The darling of every SE Asian chef.

Kiwi, from Thailand:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_qz_...kiwi+knives&keywords=kiwi+knives&unfiltered=1

or

https://importfood.com/category/kiwi-thailand-knives

Lots of models and styles to choose from.

Beware though: these things have become so popular the Chinese are cloning them-- yes, making knockoffs of $5 knives. But the knockoffs aren't nearly as good as the Thai originals. So skip Alibaba, DHgate, and the usual Chinese suspects.

I have Henkels that I baby... but I use the heck out of the Kiwis, and they last several years.

All the little Asian groceries carry Kiwi knives; the big chains like Super H do not.

They make good Christmas presents, too.

Carbon are great, but more maintenance, its all depends on what your real use is. just average cooking or are you a home chef? The best knives are the ones that are made for you.. Most people don't realize that a set of custom kitchen knives cost about the same as a good Japanese set in some cases. The best part of it is you get the type of knives you want, and don't have a few just sitting there that you don't use. You can have the handles any wood you want, blades of any type of metal that suits your type of use. I make custom chef knives I can tell you, you can get any shape, color, type you want, it all depends on your imagination and your budget.

Here are some of mine. http://instagram.com/cbwblades

I don't use a prepackaged set and I only really run three knifes, a thin Damascus chefs knife from again russell, a carbon steel thick spinned japanese chef knife that almost doubles as a chopper and pairing knife I made out of carbon steel. Beyond that an inexpensive bread knife and that's it.

The agency russell knife is my primary knife/slicer and costs under $200. I don't remember the name but it has white corian type handle.

My two cents.

I highly recommend Victoronox/Forschner knives. When I was a meat cutter we all bought our own Forschners and used them extensively. Excellent quality and I still use a 6" boning knife and an 8" breaking knife to break down a deer from time to time. Both are 20+ years old. The wife recently got me a kitchen set of Victoronox from Bed bath and beyond for around $229. Last set you will ever need. HTH.

84111E42-D4F9-405F-B073-E3BB059CC86B.jpeg

Cutco are great. My wife used to sell it. It lasts! Easy to slick back up to razor sharp too.

Dexter (food service) knives are good as well. They use them in the schools and processing plants.

Henckels knives are real good as well. Be advised they are selling them now made in China on some of the lines.

I have the Kiwi rectangular knife at home that I got at an Asian store on Watson BLVD. It came super sharp. I keep it sharp and hand wash it. Nothing will destroy your good knives quicker than a dishwasher.

Vintage (non-stainless) Sabatier, made in France. Do NOT buy any new Sabatier Chi-Com knives. Go to ebay and buy older Sabatier carbon steel knives, sharpen on a whetstone using oil to carry away the waste and make sure you have a good quality honing steel. Learn to use the honing steel and you'll only need sharpen your knives once every ten years or so.

Back
Top Bottom