• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are u using to silence your savage model 10 .308 hunting rifle?

Biggest sound you are going to hear with a centerfire rifle can is the supersonic crack and everything it reflects back from. I think my Harvester is around 138db and my Dobbs ARC30 is quieter to the ear (no db known). Unsuppressed, most 308's are around 168db. 140db is the thresh hold for hearing safe and a 22 rifle is about 141db for comparison. Yes, a 308 suppressed is quieter than a 22 rifle. I know shooting in the woods is louder than in an open field; but still safe. For hunting, it is a plus not to have ringing ears after a shot. I've taken a couple of deer now with suppressors and would hate to hunt without one now.

Hearing safe is a bs marketing term created by silencer companies. I would suggest the Vox by energetic arms. It is lighter, can use wipes, and accepts deadairs adaptor if you want to use it.

I've shot a few .308 bolt rifles with full power ammo with various factory suppressors and one Form 1 home-built.
They all sounded about the same. On par with a .22 rifle with an 18" barrel loaded with high velocity .22LR ammo like CCI mini mags.

Back
Top Bottom