• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What cigar have you been smoking lately?

Recently was in Ybor City, FL and picked up several Brick House, a few Julius Caesar and a couple of The American. That was at the JC Newman factory. Great prices. I also checked out the Grand Cathedral which is a 118 yr old church converted to a cigar/bar and it seems they have an exclusive relationship with Carlito Fuente Jr. Ybor city has a bunch of cigar shops. La Farona is 4th generation Cuban owned cigar shop. Cuban coffee everywhere. I had a field day there.
Used to live 30 mins from Ybor in Lakeland. Love going there and watching them hand roll cigars and eating at the now closed spaghetti warehouse and the Columbia restaurant.

Funny story about Cuban coffee. About 25 years ago I went to a conference in Ft Lauderdale. They always had snacks in the conference room during sessions. A kid that was born in Cuba and came over to Fl as a kid grabbed a cup of coffee and decided to make it “Cuban”. He poured 18 packs of sugar into an 8oz cup of coffee, downed it in one gulp, and 10 mins later was sleeping like a baby.

Used to live 30 mins from Ybor in Lakeland. Love going there and watching them hand roll cigars and eating at the now closed spaghetti warehouse and the Columbia restaurant.

Funny story about Cuban coffee. About 25 years ago I went to a conference in Ft Lauderdale. They always had snacks in the conference room during sessions. A kid that was born in Cuba and came over to Fl as a kid grabbed a cup of coffee and decided to make it “Cuban”. He poured 18 packs of sugar into an 8oz cup of coffee, downed it in one gulp, and 10 mins later was sleeping like a baby.
I did try the 1905 Salad. I did the half Cuban/Half Salad. Delicious. The Columbian is pretty cool. Were you aware that it seats 1700 people? Just crazy.

Cubans are worth it. I have a weakness for Upmann No. 2, Bolivar, Monty No. 2, Davidoff and of course Cohiba.
I like the Cohibas, Davidoff is good but never really did it for me - never felt like they were worth the price, AVO (made by Davidoff) has some pretty good sticks (the NORTH is one of my favorite in the AVO line). If I'm going to splurge, I generally go with a Fuente Fuente Opus X if I can find them... delicious and solid smoke every time.

I like the Cohibas, Davidoff is good but never really did it for me - never felt like they were worth the price, AVO (made by Davidoff) has some pretty good sticks (the NORTH is one of my favorite in the AVO line). If I'm going to splurge, I generally go with a Fuente Fuente Opus X if I can find them... delicious and solid smoke every time.
I was referring to Cuban Davidoffs. I’m not a fan of any I mentioned before unless of the Cuban variety. Opus X are great sticks. Where are you located? I may know a shop or two that keeps them.

Back
Top Bottom