• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Did This?

napaul

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
I was walking through the woods this morning when I noticed something that didn't quite look right. As I got closer I saw this. The bark has been completely stripped off all around this little oak tree starting around 5 1/2 feet off the ground up to about 8 1/2 feet. I showed some guys at work but nobody could say for sure what they thought had done it. My first thought was squirrels, but I've never seen them just strip bark off like that. I didn't notice any beetles or larvae bored into the wood so I wouldn't think that whatever it was was trying to get to food. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 489
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 487
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 487
So it's not just me then. That makes me feel better. This is in the middle of my property and I don't have any problem with trespassers. I also have trail cameras set up in the area and a very large American Bulldog who makes his regular rounds. Nobody has been around that I've seen that shouldn't be there. I'm kinda stumped on this one.

Last edited:
There's some on the ground around it but doesn't seem like it's all of what would have came off. It's not like there's a shortage of trees around if it's a person that did it. You can't sneeze around here without hitting an oak tree. No reason to come WAY over the line on to my property for this particular tree. And the top part of it is pretty high up, too. I'm about 6' tall and it was well above me.

Back
Top Bottom