• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Did This?

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160124_9fde13f8f73584b701aa1335f02da14b.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160124_f43dfa7d79f57f659d87dfa81a057c1d.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160124_18964b2f82b92c3400099e2a44451e83.jpg

Do some more investigating: check the ground around the tree closely, any foot prints, tracks, loose bark? Check the bark on the ground closely, any cut marks, claw marks or insects. Pull back or cut off some more bark and see if there are an insects, or fungus growing? From the pics the tree looks fairly gouged up, so it clearly seems something did this. Unless the pics are deceiving, is there any chance the bark simply fell off from disease, fungus, or due to being a dead or dying tree?

If none of that helps - call the X-files

The tree seems pretty healthy otherwise as far as I can tell. No tracks, no scratches or teeth marks on any of the bark I inspected. I made a fairly wide circle through the woods this morning looking for any other trees gouged up like this one...no such luck. On the other hand I've always wanted a reason to call Mulder and Scully.

I have seen a lot of that kind of damage in Utah, while hunting Mule deer. And correct they eat pine bark

As far as I know we don't have porcupines around here, but anything can happen. I've seen a few bears and a panther pass through this neck of the woods over the years.

Wikipedia on Porcupine Diet. Interesting.

Diet

The North American porcupine is a herbivore; it eats leaves, herbs, twigs, and green plants such as clover. In the winter, it may eat bark. It often climbs trees to find food.[7]

The African porcupine is not a climber and forages on the ground.[7] It is mostly nocturnal,[8]but will sometimes forage for food in the day. Porcupines have become a pest in Kenya and are eaten as a delicacy.[9]

That is strange, I have never seen them on the east coast either. Only out west when hunting.
In all my DNR trapping info I don't recall a mention of them, and they're destructive nuisances. I would think if we did have them we'd be covered up with trapping jobs for them.

From googling images, does seem like a likely culprit. Most of the pics you can clearly see the parallel cuts of the four incisors, and a lot smoother result, but there were a few that looked like that.

Back
Top Bottom