• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do y'all know about SOT kayaks?

100%. The Pro model didn't exist when I bought mine but they look like they got it all right with that model. However, that is one expensive seat! :)
I sit on a flat throwable PFD to get a little elevation. Really helps.
i want the pro model... the seat is the most important part of these things

Man called few different places all sold out right now!!
Yeah my understanding is they are difficult to get.... apparently a reason for that. :)
Can't remember how long my buddy was on a waiting list but I don't think it was too bad.
For the money, I don't see anything else that competes.

I've got two (9 ft and 12 ft)Hobie mirage drives. I started out with a perception and liked it, so I upgraded. It is great to fish while still being able to move and steer. My catch rate improved significantly. However, they are pricey.

I've got a 13 ft Ocean Kayak SOT that is a good mix between stability and ease of paddling. The shorter and wider you go the slower they are on flat water. My wife has has a Perception Tribe 11.5 that is wider and more stable but a little harder to paddle for long distances.

The one feature on the Perception that I really like is the replaceable skid on the rear of it. One person can drag it from the front and if you wear out the skid you can replace it. Mine has to be carried when on anything other than grass. I currently keep mine at a dock so that's not a big deal now but it is something to consider. Both are too heavy for one person to carry very far.

One other difference between the two is that the Perception has molded in handles that are solid plastic. I can pick it up with one handle and move it around without worrying about the handle coming loose. The Ocean Kayak has screwed in nylon strap handles that can be pulled off.

I'm considering getting a closed deck Kayak for the times that I just want to paddle around the lake but for your type of use I would recommend the SOT.

I own a Feel Free Triyak AND a Crescent Tandem, AND I own a Jackson daytripper.

The Daytripper is a hybrid canoe/kayak, sit inside, and I love it more than the others.

The Feel Free and the Crescent are both incredibly stable. The seats on the Feel Free suck, but the seats that came with my Crescent are amazing. Overall, I like the Crescent better between the sit on tops.

As far as the Jackson and the Tarpon: that seat on the Jackson will be better for long days on the water. Comfort is king. The Tarpon will be better for any white water you encounter.

I don't like whitewater, but somehow find myself in that crap. My Jackson Daytripper is NOT a whitewater boat--it takes on water and swamps with a damn quickness. The Crescent has NEVER flipped in whitewater, but the Feel Free has.

Hope this helps a little.

Back
Top Bottom