• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What do you do in the woods.

TRUE STORY......my uncle, Atlanta city boy, wants to go deer hunting. You know the routine, up at 3, in the woods at 5. I always carry apples with me as a snack. Right at daybreak he approaches my stand and ask for an apple. He walks away about 100 yards and puts the apple in a tree and returns to my stand. I'm thinking wth. He then proceeds to take aim at the apple and fires. I asked.....wtf? He says "been here nearly hour and not seen a deer yet and got bored".
Good ending, he gets himself lost and shows up at campsite after dark and thanks me for building campfire or he would've stayed lost overnight. Damn campfire.
End of story........this happened 20 years ago and haven't hunted since. He eventually moved to Seattle Wa and claims he now shoots deer in his backyard to keep them outa his garbage cans.
That was my "big one" game boy.:dispirited:

good story

When I hit the woods one form of comms is all I take and that does not get turned on unless emergency. All the rest seems silly IMO (but I am "older" I guess)

Well that all depends on how hung over I am. I am usually good for an hour before nap time kicks in, unless there is a lot of activity. I check **** on the phone or text with friends that are hunting with me for updates.

Watch cats

i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa225_lk125678_20131107160011_zpse76ec462.jpg

Watch, scan and listen intently.

Make mental notes on bugs and other animals behaviors, differentiate and identify sounds so I don't think every squirrel and acorn dropping is a deer walking by.

Don't make any sudden moves and move my head like its a slow moving robot with my eyes doing all the fast scanning.....ever get busted moving your head too fast?....once you do you will remember that.

Love learning from every experience in the woods and love learning from the creatures and the movements of nature.

Love being in the woods 2 hours before daybreak.....I know, I'm weird like that but it's so peaceful.

Every hunting experience is a learning experience and I've learned that deer like to follow you in the woods contrary to popular belief......I've been surrounded by deer in the dark, and just today had them running all around me after killing a doe.

I've had them follow me in the dark up mountains only,to come within six feet of me,trying to figure out what the hell I was...LOL.

I've shot at them with a poorly sighted in rifle, missing three times only to get stared at before slowly trotting off......so many stories I could take all day but I record all of my experiences in the woods and will give it to my grandson ASAT book once he's old enough to appreciate it.

Last edited:
Relax, enjoy the view. Nap. I often think about pioneer days when you could hunt for days and never see anything but creation. Nice.....

Sit and wonder if squirrels have those posters in their nests that have silhouettes of different guns so they can learn when you are carrying a 30/30 or 30.06 and they can come out and mock you. It seems like when I carried a 22 in the woods the squirrels would all go invisible, but take a big caliber that you can't waste shooting a squirrel with and they are crowded around me, pointing and laughing at me. Squirrels are like the mean kids in the playground. :(

LOL.

Back
Top Bottom