What do you use?

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
What do you use to pull out the old oil on rifle stocks? I'm hands down against sanding a surplus rifle. so I'm looking for other ideas....

Krud Kutter?
Simple Green?
Greased Lightning?
Oven Cleaner?
I've used several different product over the years but haven't found the one for me yet

Last edited:
Sunlight... Of course it's the wrong time of year. I know of guys who use heat lamps and newspaper wrapped on the stock. I don't like sanding, or chemicals. Good ol heat to wick it out.

So....I was working on a old beat up enfield stock today and I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far. I talked to my dad who has 50+ years experience in woodworking and carpentry for some tips. For the top layer of thick oil and dried cosmoline I used a non-abrasive all natural cleaner/degreaser and purple power mixed to 1/4 strength and then rinsed it well. I'm letting it dry now and tomorrow evening I'm going to use the damp steaming method to remove some of the more set in stains that weren't removed in phase one. During this phase I should be able to raise some of the minor gouges as well. Tuesday I'll be lightly going over the rifle with steel wool to gently remove any burs in the wood from steaming. After all of this is done to my satisfaction I'll be oiling the wood with very thin/light coats of boiled linseed oil. I may also reblue some of the more worn parts(barrel bands, sights and magazine.

There's nothing like a good project, hopefully this will go well and I can move onto one of my spanish Mausers.

Back
Top Bottom