What do you use?

You know what works really good for me? Mineral spirit baths between strip-x cleaning and heat gun use. The only problem is the black spots.....just wont help the mildew/rot spots

I'm going to give strip-x a shot on the spanish mauser once I finish this enfield. :thumb:

I did find that on some of the hard oil spots and grease spots "Palmolive baby" dish soap works really well, even better than a heavy degreaser.

All the "experts" I've dealt with ... specifically for Enfields (Brian Dick who is a highly regarded "expert" on Enfields) ... highly recommended ammonia (janitor strength), water, a green pad, and sunlight. Honestly I've only used this method once and it worked well to get the old oil build up off the old girl. I took my Mk III TDY with me last April and I tried using the ammonia method but that wasn't working out too well being in hotel room (Marriott at that). I put the girl together and rubbed her with a green pad and Ballistol and it cleaned A LOT of the grime off. IF you want to be correct, re-apply boiled linseed oil and bake it in the sunlight. If you want a shine, apply the BLO and rub it until dry.

Some guys use oven cleaner ... and although I wouldn't and others claim it damages the wood ... I've seen some good results though and that's all that counts. Bottom line is the rifle is yours, so whatever you choose to do is your choice. Stocks can be replaced although I'll tell you that I did a full stock replacement on a bubba-ized No4 Mk1/2 that belonged to my father and I paid more for the wood and missing parts than the rifle was worth. BUT ... it was worth it to me :)

Even a $200 Enfield with all the wood is a great find even if it needs some parts replaced. Most were gone through in the 50's anyway for Factory Thorough Refit ... so essentially you're just doing this in the 2010's. Nothing wrong with that! If you need any assistance in taking her down all the way for a detail clean, or need to know a good source for parts, let me know! I love working on these old girls.

Excellent info, sir! I'm more than likely going to be in search of a buttplate, the one that was on the rifle was missing a chunk.

All the "experts" I've dealt with ... specifically for Enfields (Brian Dick who is a highly regarded "expert" on Enfields) ... highly recommended ammonia (janitor strength), water, a green pad, and sunlight. Honestly I've only used this method once and it worked well to get the old oil build up off the old girl. I took my Mk III TDY with me last April and I tried using the ammonia method but that wasn't working out too well being in hotel room (Marriott at that). I put the girl together and rubbed her with a green pad and Ballistol and it cleaned A LOT of the grime off. IF you want to be correct, re-apply boiled linseed oil and bake it in the sunlight. If you want a shine, apply the BLO and rub it until dry.

Some guys use oven cleaner ... and although I wouldn't and others claim it damages the wood ... I've seen some good results though and that's all that counts. Bottom line is the rifle is yours, so whatever you choose to do is your choice. Stocks can be replaced although I'll tell you that I did a full stock replacement on a bubba-ized No4 Mk1/2 that belonged to my father and I paid more for the wood and missing parts than the rifle was worth. BUT ... it was worth it to me :)

Even a $200 Enfield with all the wood is a great find even if it needs some parts replaced. Most were gone through in the 50's anyway for Factory Thorough Refit ... so essentially you're just doing this in the 2010's. Nothing wrong with that! If you need any assistance in taking her down all the way for a detail clean, or need to know a good source for parts, let me know! I love working on these old girls.

A garment steamer has worked really well in the my experience. Slow, but it boils the oils out then wipe off. and raised 95% of dings

That's a great idea! I did use the damp cloth and iron method with good success on this one, it does raise the grain though. A couple of the gouges were too deep to be saved but it did help, I'm using a really fine grit sandpaper to take the burs off those spots. After the first coats of boiled linseed oil diluted with alcohol the grain goes back to normal.

My Dad had a collection of 150+ Military type Rifles. He (I) always Used 409 to Strip the Stocks. Pulls the Grease and oil right out of the wood.

Last edited:
I've got a few more less desirable, non collector milsurps I'll be working on later as well. I'm going to try a few of the aforementioned tips on those. Honestly, I like working on them....it's a fun hobby. Especially when you're taking chicken **** and making chicken salad. New tips, tricks and hacks are always welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom