• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What else do I need for my reloading set up?

Atlanta777

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
172   0
Reaction score
Looking for some assistance on my reloading set up. I have been piecing together parts for about a year now, but due to a lack of space at this moment, I have not been able to fully pull all the pieces together. I have read about the basic principles and watched videos so I feel I have a decent grasp of what to do, but I wanted to get some experienced opinions on what I am missing and what would be the best tools to fill those gaps. Obviously I have a bunch of Lee products, so I am fairly committed to that brand at this point.
I am looking to reload: 9mm, .45acp, .308, .300 Blk & .223/5.56.

Here is what I have at the moment:

-Lee Classic Turret Press
-Lee Turret Press 4-Hole Quick Change
-Lee De-capping Die
-Lee Pro Auto Powder Measure
-Lee Safety Primer Feed (Large & Small)
-Quick N EZ Case Cleaning Kit
-Lee Delux 9mm Die
-Lee Deluxe .45acp Die
-Accurate No.5 (1lb)
-Winchester Ball Powder-Autocomp (1lb)
-124 GR 9mm Bullets (1000)
-230 GR .45acp Bullets (500)
-Mix of Tula & Federal Primers &#8211; Small & Large (at least 1000 for each size)
-some brass, but not enough lol

One or two reloading manuals.

They are necessary and they will also fill any gaps you have in the process as far as what is needed.

I have the "Modern Reloading" book. I read a bunch of it but have to go back and re-read it since I was not able to properly apply it to very much at the time.

Always good to get other opinions.

I would also get a digital scale, tumbler with medial for recycled brass, a set of calipers to measure OAL, and I use a hand primer with the Lee turret press system.

I would also get a digital scale, tumbler with medial for recycled brass, a set of calipers to measure OAL, and I use a hand primer with the Lee turret press system.

Any suggestions on a digital scale? I couldnt decide what was the best route for a decent price. I have calipers, thanks for reminding me.

A method to clean your brass. I use crushed walnut media and Nu-Finish car finish polish (orange bottle). A method to separate the brass from the media. Mine used to be my wife's kitchen colander with a plastic pan to sift over.

I have been using an RCBS 10-10 balance scale for about 25 years. I use it most often to verify the charge thrown by my measure then periodically spot check it. Never needed another scale. I can see the benefit of an electric but have some reservations with electrics.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/415607/rcbs-model-1010-magnetic-powder-scale-1010-grain-capacity

Or electric for $30 more.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/869423/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-powder-scale-110-volt?cm_vc=subv1869423

A hand chamfering tool is really handy for when you occasionally come across a military crimped case to do a quick de-burring/removal of the crimp. If you have a bunch then a military crimp removal tool is the best but unless you come across a batch of these probably not required....yet.

One of the best buys for calipers is the Harbor Freight electric calipers, especially on sale and with the 20% off coupon. Works just as well as my most expensive ones but doesn't eat batteries like MM's.

A cheap kinetic bullet puller is a must IMO. Doubt anything, stop, break down the ammo and recheck everything. It comes in handy sooner or later.

9mm brass used to be so plentiful I didn't go out of my way to pick anyone else's left brass. You can still find it on some public ranges, most of it fired once or twice. Good luck finding .45 ACP. You will probably need to buy that if you haven't saved it up.

Scale (I prefer a balance beam myself)
powder trickler.
lube pad and lube.
bullet puller.
extra manual or reloading data from the powder manufacture (free on line)
powder pocket cleaner
chamfer tool
case length gauge
most want some type of case cleaner.
labels
ammo boxes
reloaders log book (or use a tablet)
loading blocks.

Back
Top Bottom