• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What ever happened to the guy that moved to Costa Rica???????

Wasn’t that bad… 40 years ago when we vacationed there.
‘Course we mostly stayed within the confines of the all-inclusive property, away from the cities, and they’ve had time to breed 2 more generations of hopelessness.
Why is it some of the most beautiful, paradise-like countries are hell holes?
We've been staying off the beaten path in Little Bay (Westmoreland). Haven't been bothered by anyone. In fact, everyone we've come in contact with has been extremely friendly. I even cooked real spaghetti with Oxe tail and invited our neighbors over. Had a great time. A lot of stories and laughs. Ventured into the "city" for groceries in Savanna-la-Mar and you can definitely see the stark contrast between rural and city life. Different scenery but the same issues as anywhere else I suppose.

I will tell you this, they really do love their music. Even out in the rural areas they have speakers run up polls and will play it loud and proud until like 3am. That being said, Sunday brings church service over the same speakers. Something about the gospel being embraced by the whole village while you sit in a hammock with a slight breeze made it that much more spiritual.

Even as an outsider, I don't think you'd have many issues if you did your best to adapt to the lifestyle and culture where you're staying or choosing to live. I've lived in Hawaii and saw firsthand how loud and ridiculous visitors can be.

Then you've had far better luck than I have there. :thumb:

When we were traveling out west the 1st nights stop was in St. Louis.

I told wife to stay in the car with the doors locked while I checked in but naturally she didn’t listen.

As soon as I got to the door the motel’s night security told me to go back & get her back in the car, locking the doors till we were ready to go to our room.

That was at the Holiday Inn downtown.

I have no desire to go there again, much less with anyone who cannot be burdened to follow clear directions the first time.

That’s the kind of place folks get shot just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let me elaborate on my previous comments. We moved here last summer, had some down time while we waited for my stuff to go through the shipping process. I loved those weeks, everyday was like a vacation. Once it hit the ground, we went into "gas pedal to the floor" mode in getting our business set up. We've experienced just about every setback you can imagine, from exponentially higher costs, to housing issues, to numerous government compliance issues, to health issues, to the engine blowing up in my truck (and, because it's a Ford, we're having to send for parts from the US). There are days when we get clotheslined multiple times from crap there's just no way to anticipate. For the past 4 months I have been working every day, even worked straight through Christmas. I'm exhausted, I'm tired of dealing with dumb people, and I admit I sometimes fail to see the reason we moved here to begin with. I haven't been getting out and enjoying the really cool parts of Costa Rica because every waking minute I am investing in this new company. I know it takes a lot to get something like this off the ground, I've done it before. But I've never done it in a foreign country. Now, the good parts: We are getting some major attention from the top top top people in our industry, everyone is telling us we hit this place at the right time with the right idea and we're going to be uber successful. They're handing us orders, big ones. We have some good people in our organization, and have done all the legwork to ensure healthy growth. Now, it's time to watch it grow. And, maybe go enjoy a beach or two.

Let me elaborate on my previous comments. We moved here last summer, had some down time while we waited for my stuff to go through the shipping process. I loved those weeks, everyday was like a vacation. Once it hit the ground, we went into "gas pedal to the floor" mode in getting our business set up. We've experienced just about every setback you can imagine, from exponentially higher costs, to housing issues, to numerous government compliance issues, to health issues, to the engine blowing up in my truck (and, because it's a Ford, we're having to send for parts from the US). There are days when we get clotheslined multiple times from crap there's just no way to anticipate. For the past 4 months I have been working every day, even worked straight through Christmas. I'm exhausted, I'm tired of dealing with dumb people, and I admit I sometimes fail to see the reason we moved here to begin with. I haven't been getting out and enjoying the really cool parts of Costa Rica because every waking minute I am investing in this new company. I know it takes a lot to get something like this off the ground, I've done it before. But I've never done it in a foreign country. Now, the good parts: We are getting some major attention from the top top top people in our industry, everyone is telling us we hit this place at the right time with the right idea and we're going to be uber successful. They're handing us orders, big ones. We have some good people in our organization, and have done all the legwork to ensure healthy growth. Now, it's time to watch it grow. And, maybe go enjoy a beach or two.

Cool
What industry or what type of business?
We are headed there (Santa Teresa) again in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom