• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What ever happened to the guy that moved to Costa Rica???????

Let me elaborate on my previous comments. We moved here last summer, had some down time while we waited for my stuff to go through the shipping process. I loved those weeks, everyday was like a vacation. Once it hit the ground, we went into "gas pedal to the floor" mode in getting our business set up. We've experienced just about every setback you can imagine, from exponentially higher costs, to housing issues, to numerous government compliance issues, to health issues, to the engine blowing up in my truck (and, because it's a Ford, we're having to send for parts from the US). There are days when we get clotheslined multiple times from crap there's just no way to anticipate. For the past 4 months I have been working every day, even worked straight through Christmas. I'm exhausted, I'm tired of dealing with dumb people, and I admit I sometimes fail to see the reason we moved here to begin with. I haven't been getting out and enjoying the really cool parts of Costa Rica because every waking minute I am investing in this new company. I know it takes a lot to get something like this off the ground, I've done it before. But I've never done it in a foreign country. Now, the good parts: We are getting some major attention from the top top top people in our industry, everyone is telling us we hit this place at the right time with the right idea and we're going to be uber successful. They're handing us orders, big ones. We have some good people in our organization, and have done all the legwork to ensure healthy growth. Now, it's time to watch it grow. And, maybe go enjoy a beach or two.
Didn’t start a business when we were in Hawaii but also had a false expectation of paradise. Once you realize life happens and you still need an income, you’re just living in any other city surrounded by beautiful trees and water.

I think you’re on the right track though. Once you get the engine running on its own, you can get to that paradise that played in your head before you moved.

Beer ain’t cheap unfortunately. Imperial about $1.25 a btl. Best in my opinion.
Drive down to Panama and get it duty free for less, need to semi smuggle it home.

Didn’t start a business when we were in Hawaii but also had a false expectation of paradise. Once you realize life happens and you still need an income, you’re just living in any other city surrounded by beautiful trees and water.

I think you’re on the right track though. Once you get the engine running on its own, you can get to that paradise that played in your head before you moved.

Ya
Wherever you go…. There you are…

I'm gonna bring this one back from the dead cause I'm going to costa rica for the first time in july, flying in and out of LIR. I know it's the rainy season and em looking to probably do more hiking etc than sitting around at a beach but I might do that the last day or two.

Just wondering if there's anything in particular y'all would recommend doing, anything it's definitely not the season to do, how necessary is to actually rent a 4x4 if I want to be going up around Arenal or Monteverde, and what's the best way to not get ripped on a car rental (especially through some of the insurance/fees, I have amex with their premium flat rate coverage so I believe I can decline the optional ones).

CostaRicaBound CostaRicaBound

I'm gonna bring this one back from the dead cause I'm going to costa rica for the first time in july, flying in and out of LIR. I know it's the rainy season and em looking to probably do more hiking etc than sitting around at a beach but I might do that the last day or two.

Just wondering if there's anything in particular y'all would recommend doing, anything it's definitely not the season to do, how necessary is to actually rent a 4x4 if I want to be going up around Arenal or Monteverde, and what's the best way to not get ripped on a car rental (especially through some of the insurance/fees, I have amex with their premium flat rate coverage so I believe I can decline the optional ones).

Sport fishing for Marlin and sailfish was awesome over the winter months as I recall. I haven’t been there in over 20 years but I would recommend doing the Ticas lol!

July usually isn't too bad a month here, it's when CR gets a break from the rain for a few weeks. It's our Indian Summer (We're such racists here). Renting a car is the same as any other place, use the recognized agencies and you'll be fine. We have Adobe Rentacar right in front of my business, and I have several clients come in and out of CR who use them without complaint.
For adventure, a 4x4 is recommended if you're planning to go off the beaten path. Monteverde is a little far, but worth the drive. Arenal can be very "touristy" but if you go there don't miss spending a day at one of the hot springs. Tabacon is the most popular, I've been there and it's nice.
Just outside of Liberia, there's Volcan Rincon de la Vieja, a good hike up but you'll see active volcanic pits and pretty cool views.
About 2.5 hours east of Lake Arenal is Cataratas de La Paz, a waterfall and nature park. They have a hummingbird area with thousands of the little guys flying all over, landing on your hand, head, etc. It's very cool and an absolutely stunning drive there.

Beaches....stay away from the tourist traps like Playa del Coco (I live just outside of Coco). Tamarindo is very touristy but can be a cool town. Best beach in my opinion, is 10 minutes from my house - Playa Hermosa. Not sure when it happens, but turtles lay eggs and hatch on Playa Grande, about 30-40 minutes south of here. People are welcome to walk the beach while the little turds come out of the sand and waddle into the sea, but you can't touch them. There are also plenty of small unknown beaches here, our favorite is Calzon de Pobre, which means "poor man's underwear". Right now the road into it is all chopped up but still accessible, they're building a new Waldorf Astoria there.

Fishing is ok in July but you're not going to see sailfish or marlin in that time of year. Billfish season is typically October through March. Inshore fishing is good though, and tuna runs are always good.

Then of course there's ziplining, scuba, snorkeling, waverunners, hiking, quad tours, horseback tours, and on and on.

Ask me anything if you want, if I can help make your trip a good one I will certainly try.

Back
Top Bottom