• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have you been doing at the bench today?

BHPSteel

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
Not actually reloading, but everyone's favorite - case prep!

I was given a bag of used 30-06 brass and so a couple days ago, decapped it, neck-sized it, slapped it in the ultrasonic and picked out the (quite few) pieces that I didn't consider safe.

Then, onto the Lee Case Prep stud in the power drill for a go-over with gray scotchbrite, followed by a wipe down to get any of the scotchbrite abrasive off. This is not a high-volume solution to case prep and I'm not normally obsessive about having bright, shiny brass, but it gave me a great opportunity to check every case over:

1693967133132.png
1693967162698.png
1693967193021.png

Notrhing yet but I will up in the wee hours of the morning and I have loads of prepped and primed brass looking for powder and projectiles. So I guess you know what I will be doing.

I took some clean brass I had ( 160 pieces of .223 brass ) that had already been resized and deprimed. I cut the down to correct length. I also swagged the primer pockets, half of which I had to cut the crimp down. Man that's a PITA.

My new trimmer chamfers the inside and out. I have 250 69 gr bullets coming from RMR so I just gearing up to load some to test. After my arms start to function again I will go in and prime them.

I guess I will load up 20 with Varget and see how that goes. I am going to hold off on going at it gung ho #untill I see how that works out.

I forgot to hit post reply at 3:00pm and sat down to rest my arms and fingers from all the case work. So I walked into the living room and sat down the next I know it 5:00 pm. I fell asleep for two hours and wasn't even trying. I had a horrible night with minimal sleep and it caught up to me. We I just completed priming over 160 some odd cases. So now I have probably 250 prepped .223 cases. I need to test a few powders before I open up the assembly line.

Making 351 WSL brass out of 357 maximum brass.

Start by cutting them off .215
De burr & chamfer
Turn the rim down .30
Then cut a slight relief above the rim.
Size and load normally.

What’s left over
IMG_1299.jpeg

Altered on top, factory 357 bottom

IMG_1305.jpeg

Factory 351 WSL brass on left, altered 357/351 on the right
IMG_1303.png

Not actually reloading, but everyone's favorite - case prep!

I was given a bag of used 30-06 brass and so a couple days ago, decapped it, neck-sized it, slapped it in the ultrasonic and picked out the (quite few) pieces that I didn't consider safe.

Then, onto the Lee Case Prep stud in the power drill for a go-over with gray scotchbrite, followed by a wipe down to get any of the scotchbrite abrasive off. This is not a high-volume solution to case prep and I'm not normally obsessive about having bright, shiny brass, but it gave me a great opportunity to check every case over:

View attachment 6186281View attachment 6186283View attachment 6186288
Do ya know anyone with a 3D printer ?
I had a friend of mine make these a few years ago. Makes it a lot easier to use.
IMG_1310.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_1309.jpeg

Making 351 WSL brass out of 357 maximum brass.

Start by cutting them off .215
De burr & chamfer
Turn the rim down .30
Then cut a slight relief above the rim.
Size and load normally.

What’s left over
View attachment 6194343

Altered on top, factory 357 bottom

View attachment 6194344

Factory 351 WSL brass on left, altered 357/351 on the right
View attachment 6194345
And now the finished product.
It was pretty labor intensive, but well worth it since this ammo is hard to find and very spendy when ya do.
I loaded 100 rounds using Hawk 180 gr jacketed soft nose and Buffalo Arms 180 gr cast w/gas check.
Should be running 1750 fps’ish.
Very pleased with how they turned out.
I shot a couple checking function and to check pressure signs. All looks good.
IMG_1361.jpeg
IMG_1362.jpeg
IMG_1363.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom