• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is a decent fly fishing rig for under $200

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
What is a decent fly fishing rig for under $200? I took a fly fishing casting class last June up in Vermont and wanted to know what rig is decent for a beginner fly fisherman. I bait and spin cast the Hooch and fish on St. Simons like a maniac. BUt have NEVER Fly fished. What say you gentlemen?

bass pro shop actually has a good selection and the house brand aint to bad. should easily be able to get a decent setup rod/reel/line/leaders with a good selection of flys for 200.

Spend the bulk of the budget on a nice fast rod. Don't get a buggy whip! Reels don't impact casting or accuaracy. You don't need huge disc brake drag systems for most types of fishing you'll encounter. Most techniques for applying drag will involve your ability to palm the reel so only a basic pawl system to start! Get the presentation to the fish!

+1 on Bass Pro Shop. I fish with one, my brother had one of the $900 Orvis rods. You know what the fish never knew the difference. Really until you get your cast figured out you won't gain any thing by spending more money on a rod. 6' rod for around North Georgia will serve you well. Spend your money on good leaders, tippets and flies.

Spend the bulk of the budget on a nice fast rod. Don't get a buggy whip! Reels don't impact casting or accuaracy. You don't need huge disc brake drag systems for most types of fishing you'll encounter. Most techniques for applying drag will involve your ability to palm the reel so only a basic pawl system to start! Get the presentation to the fish!
I am all for a maximum fun to $ ratio when it comes to fishing, I have 5 rods and not a bunch of dough in them, I catch a TON of fish. So i hear ya. I catch trout on the hooch and all kinds of fresh/salt water fish on St Simons/Frederica River

Last edited:
+1 on Bass Pro Shop. I fish with one, my brother had one of the $900 Orvis rods. You know what the fish never knew the difference. Really until you get your cast figured out you won't gain any thing by spending more money on a rod. 6' rod for around North Georgia will serve you well. Spend your money on good leaders, tippets and flies.
Totally Agree.

I am all for a maximum fun to $ ratio when it comes to fishing, I have 5 rods and not a bunch of dough in them, I catch a TON of fish. So i hear ya. I catch trout on the hooch and all kids of fresh/salt water fish on St Simons/Frederica River.

My point exactly.

I used to guide and teach before "the movie" came out and always enjoyed seeing newbees experience a thrill catching snits (standard nine inch trout) here in NE Ga. Suddenly, everyone thought they were Brad Pitt stalking Moby Dick! LOL. Before you head out to BP, check eBay for a Sage RPL series 2 piece. The rods are frequently found used NIB for $125+ , you can then get a basic reel, decent line etc. and progress from there. 8' 6/7 weight will have the most versatility in 80% of fishing your talking about. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom