• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is a decent fly fishing rig for under $200

My point exactly.

I used to guide and teach before "the movie" came out and always enjoyed seeing newbees experience a thrill catching snits (standard nine inch trout) here in NE Ga. Suddenly, everyone thought they were Brad Pitt stalking Moby Dick! LOL. Before you head out to BP, check eBay for a Sage RPL series 2 piece. The rods are frequently found used NIB for $125+ , you can then get a basic reel, decent line etc. and progress from there. 8' 6/7 weight will have the most versatility in 80% of fishing your talking about. Good luck!
Question for you. Can I use the same rig for salt and fresh water correct? For example...and don't laugh, I have a zebco 33 on a shimano rod that I use for just about any occasion - just switching baits and rigs.

Question for you. Can I use the same rig for salt and fresh water correct? For example...and don't laugh, I have a zebco 33 on a shimano rod that I use for just about any occasion - just switching baits and rigs.

Precisely why I recommend the 8' 6/7. With this setup you can rig with 5wt and make wonderfully controlled roll casts for trout in tight settings or rig 7 or 8 wt for light salt action-especially in bays, lagoons, flats etc or bass at Lanier. Another 6" in length will give you a little more ability to push the heavier flies and in the same light a foot less allows a more refined presentation for the trout. Either way you lean in your setup, you will still be able to fish both areas. BTW, when you get your reel, try to grab an extra spool. The advantages and versatility in an extra spool allows you to be ready for both ends of the spectrum.

i298.photobucket.com_albums_mm277_liveaboard74_THT_20ONLINE_20PHOTOS_SAM_0504.jpg

Back
Top Bottom