• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is involved with building a house, and is it worth it?

That would actually be ok. Well, maybe a 4/2. I can do the cabinets, hardwood floors, etc. at my convenience in the future.

As far as difficulty in finding undeveloped property, how feasible is buying a mobile home on some acreage and then building my home while living in the mobile home? How hard would it be to get loans for this?

And I don't mind this becoming a part time job, definitely worth it! I just dont know anything about pouring foundations, electrical, etc. I'm good with carpentry, just no experience in construction.

You would still hire the skilled trades but you remove the middle man.

Safebuilder is a concrete guy, we have plumbers, electricians and there is an HVAC guy floating around somewhere. It would be interesting to see the house the ODT built.

View attachment 283019

I'd love to have an odt house. I wish building materials were cheaper, otherwise i'd love to be the experiment. Wish there was a way to make that work!

Now I'm having a bunch of ideas, I know you guys would do it right and understand a few special "accommodations" that I would want done to the house.

If I knew someone who could give me a good price on materials, this could happen. Really I just need the basics first, then I could come back later and put down hardwoods, cabinets, paint, etc.

Just built my own. Nothing to it. Had it framed in and finished it myself. Course I am retired. Just did my own heating and a/c Sat and Sunday. Put in a packaged unit and we are cool as cucumbers. PM me and I'll fill you in on some things that will help you.

I've been thinking of this as well since I want some acreage later on & a more rustic style home to retire in. Have you looked into log cabin kits? Here is just one site that I pulled up, http://www.coventryloghomes.com/. Also check out the log home magazines in the stores to see other company models and building materials. All the basic materials get shipped to your site and most can be put together by yourself. Just think of lincoln logs only on a larger scale. Makes life easier when it's all precut and comes with a manual! Once it's up you can focus on the interior finishing.

With the high rate of foreclosures you should have no problem although may be hard pressed to find a move in ready home with a couple acres for that price but it can be done.

Unless you live in a very unusual market, there is no way you can build for what you can buy.
My neighbor's house burned to the ground last year. Cost to rebuild was going to be about 140% (literally) of what they'd be able to sell it for after it was built.

Back
Top Bottom