• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the most remote woods or forest in GA

The Altamaha River Basin Area is some tough area to hang out in.

Yes it is. A friend of mine was looking to buy some land in a very remote area on the Altamaha, and we had to take his boat to reach it. It was actually pretty cool, and some giant trees, but eerie too. I would not relish the thought of camping out there. LOL We were south of Savannah not very far from the coast.

Cross the imaginary line into NC
There plenty of very rugged terrain

Most people never go more than a mile from a paved road

I grew up in Rabun and Union county in the 70s
We rode our motorcycles just about everywhere they would possibly go

We would be miles and miles back in the woods on the side of some mountain on a deer trail
Thinking "wow, I might be the first person ever to be here "
Then a mile further in you'd see a beer can ....

Kids explore, that's all they do , well at least before video games and Facebook , that's all I did all summer long , pack a lunch and fill two half gallon soda bottles with extra gasoline and tie them over the back of the seat and met up with a couple friends and explore the mountains with my Honda Trail 90 , and my best friend on his Honda XL-70
And his brother on his Yamaha YZ-80

We didn't take water , we just drank out of creeks

But if you want to locate something in the woods like an old home place or cave with Indian carvings or whatever, you ask the local kids.

On 129 between near Neels Gap between X and Y
Is a secret invisible waterfall
Formed by the creek the creek when it runs under 129 and off the cliff

Step over the guard rail just downhill from the creek and you will see a trail

And a sign telling how many people have been killed trying to get out on the cliff and view the waterfalls

Hiking into a spot on the next ridge over where you could see and photograph the falls would be a tough tough hike down that cliff and up the other side

There used to be a pull off and a sign directing people to the falls
It got removed after the 9th person died slipping off the cliff

My father was the local ranger that rappelled down to bring up the bodies

It's impossible to see the falls , so don't kill yourselves trying.

You can glimpse them in the winter where there's no leaves , from a spot a little further north on the road

This was also the spot where before the sturdy guardrail was installed, the locals disposed of all the stolen cars after they were stripped .
The bottom of the cliff used to be littered with 57 Chevys , Corvairs, old trucks etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously you passed the test after the film.

I remember my dad taking us to watch em film that movie

The old store where they got gas was an actual real store . The hospital scene was filmed in the real hospital and the doctors and nurses were the real employees

I also remember my dad taking us to watch em set the towers at some big power line that was built over a mountain so steep they hauled the cement for the foundation piers up with mules , no way to even get a jeep up there , and they flew the poles in with a helicopter

Obviously you passed the test after the film.
We use some the quotes from that movie at work on a regular basis. LOL
I'm also a true Georgia native so I have been known to tell transplants that Deliverance is required watching to live in Georgia.:becky:

Canoeing through the Okeefanokee swamp will make you feel isolated if you stay off the main channel.
Wife and I got to canoe through the Okeefanokee way back in 1970. Newly weds and arguing about the 'gators swimming and bumping the canoe. Not a good afternoon. We've laughed about it for 47 years now. Wasn't funny then!

Sent from here to there by me using smoke signals

Cool i appr2ciatte al
Cross the imaginary line into NC
There plenty of very rugged terrain

Most people never go more than a mile from a paved road

I grew up in Rabun and Union county in the 70s
We rode our motorcycles just about everywhere they would possibly go

We would be miles and miles back in the woods on the side of some mountain on a deer trail
Thinking "wow, I might be the first person ever to be here "
Then a mile further in you'd see a beer can ....

Kids explore, that's all they do , well at least before video games and Facebook , that's all I did all summer long , pack a lunch and fill two half gallon soda bottles with extra gasoline and tie them over the back of the seat and met up with a couple friends and explore the mountains with my Honda Trail 90 , and my best friend on his Honda XL-70
And his brother on his Yamaha YZ-80

We didn't take water , we just drank out of creeks

But if you want to locate something in the woods like an old home place or cave with Indian carvings or whatever, you ask the local kids.

On 129 between near Neels Gap between X and Y
Is a secret invisible waterfall
Formed by the creek the creek when it runs under 129 and off the cliff

Step over the guard rail just downhill from the creek and you will see a trail

And a sign telling how many people have been killed trying to get out on the cliff and view the waterfalls

Hiking into a spot on the next ridge over where you could see and photograph the falls would be a tough tough hike down that cliff and up the other side

There used to be a pull off and a sign directing people to the falls
It got removed after the 9th person died slipping off the cliff

My father was the local ranger that rappelled down to bring up the bodies

It's impossible to see the falls , so don't kill yourselves trying.

You can glimpse them in the winter where there's no leaves , from a spot a little further north on the road

This was also the spot where before the sturdy guardrail was installed, the locals disposed of all the stolen cars after they were stripped .
The bottom of the cliff used to be littered with 57 Chevys , Corvairs, old trucks etc

cool stuff boss. really cool information.

Back
Top Bottom