• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What kind of media do you use?

Finally started using the Frankford wet tumbler a couple of weeks ago. Bit of Dawn, but of Lemi shine, steel pins, 2-3 hours, a good rinse and the brass looks like brand new. Super impressed so far after running about 4000 cases through the process.

I used to do corn media, now I use wet steel pins. Works great, biggest complaint is the occasional pin in the case and drying, but they come out much nicer and cleanup is easier than corn media.

One observation about the Frankford wet system.....get their media separator. You can separate out the steel pins by hand but it's slow and you WILL miss some. Their separator uses water in the base half, you crank it for a minute or so and its super effective.

25# bag of lizard bedding walnut media from the pet store. costs about $25 if I remember right. It will fill up a 5 gal bucket. use a little flitz and your g2g.

makes the cases a little dusty tho. before I reload, I tumble briefly in corn cob to knock the dust off before sizing.

If you want walnut cheap, Harbor Freight.
25.00 lb. Walnut Shell 24 Grit Fine Abrasive Media
item#92155

$22.99 normal price but use a 20% off coupon and it can be yours for the low low price of $18.39. They also have 12 grit if you want something more coarse.

I have a Thumler's Tumbler that I've used for ~33 years and it's been my go-to solution for polishing. Having used the wet/steel pin system though I'm converted.......not going back. Shame because I bought a shiny new 25# box of walnut from Harbor Freight a few months back that I won't use now! Maybe I'll throw it in the blasting cabinet which is what it's for to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom