What kind of snake is this?

Put on thick winter gloves and start at the head. It will get loose easier and not as traumatic for you if he tries to bite. He is in some pain since his scales are being torn!

Black snake..used to call them chicken snakes on the farm, a distant cousin of the king snake..not poison, may bite out of fear of you ...just wear some good leather work gloves or if he does , clean the wound with peroxide and put neosporin on it..he's harmless to you, however, it will eat baby ducks and any eggs that are around...BUT..it will also eat any poisonous snakes that come around as well as rodents. If you want to relocate it just put in a container when you go to run errand let him go a mile or so away ..
I have a pair of these in my backyard that have been here for many years....

If it secretes a foul smelling , milky substance ..don't worry about it , just part of it's defense mechanism, it'll wash right off.
I've moved a lot of these for neighbors, be gentle with it and it prob won't even attempt to bite.

Last edited:
Black snake..used to call them chicken snakes on the farm, a distant cousin of the king snake..not poison, may bite out of fear of you ...just wear some good leather work gloves or if he does , clean the wound with peroxide and put neosporin on it..he's harmless to you, however, it will eat baby ducks and any eggs that are around...BUT..it will also eat any poisonous snakes that come around as well as rodents. If you want to relocate it just put in a container when you go to run errand let him go a mile or so away ..
I have a pair of these in my backyard that have been here for many years....

If it secretes a foul smelling , milky substance ..don't worry about it , just part of it's defense mechanism, it'll wash right off.
I've moved a lot of these for neighbors, be gentle with it and it prob won't even attempt to bite.

He is your friend

Get your wife to hold it's head while you get it loose...Remember it was designed to move forward, and it's scales will hang on things if you are pulling it backwards through that netting. Good on you for the attitude change. ;)

Don't forget to video it!

Not a chance!!! I'm sure there are plenty of video's out there with grown men crying like babies holding scissors.... or maybe not. Either way, I won't be one of them. :Cry:

Man I feel you. I saw snake in my shed and then psyched myself into thinking I'll just capture it with my bare hands like they do on TV. Got gloves, came back, the snake started moving CLOSER to me and I screamed and ran away. Came back with a shotgun but it was gone.

Man I feel you. I saw snake in my shed and then psyched myself into thinking I'll just capture it with my bare hands like they do on TV. Got gloves, came back, the snake started moving CLOSER to me and I screamed and ran away. Came back with a shotgun but it was gone.

Only way to be sure it's gone is to burn the shed down.

Back
Top Bottom