• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What level of accuracy do insist on for a deer rifle?

Minimum acceptable accuracy for you out of a deer rifle?

• 1 MOA

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2 MOA

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • 3 MOA

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 4 MOA

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Minute of pie plate

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I don't care, spray and pray is how I roll.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
1 MOA for me. I know logically that is way more than I need in 95% of typical deer hunting, but it's a confidence thing for me. If I'm confidant in my rifle, it makes it easier to be confidant in my skill, which in turn makes me a better shot.

We always lived by if you're shooting a 3 or 4 inch group at 100 yards that's enough to kill it at 100 yards. Bout the size of the heart/lungs

No more than 1" at 100 yds. Rarely get a shot further where I hunt but I don't feel warm and fuzzy with 2". I do not sight my 308 1" or 2" high either but that's just me since I usually have 100 yd and less shots
I'll zero at 200 yards and accept the high point of impact at shorter range, but at most it's only going to be about 1.65 inches high at around 120 yards with the rifles I shoot. I can accept that. On the other hand, I have never been comfortable with a maximum point blank range with a 3 inch margin, which is what most people that zero for MPB use. It's just too much for me. I zero at 200 and know my drop beyond that.

My brother has a serious flat shooter and he zeros at 300 with it. Makes me crazy because he is about 3.5 inches high at one point, but it works for him.

Another factor about a highly accurate rifle is that there are times you can take a shot that a less accurate rifle would not be up to even at close range. There have been several deer that I have killed because I was able to slip the round through a small break in the brush as the last opportunity I would get on that deer.

I can say with certainty that I have never shot over 350 yards hunting whitetail in ga. Not saying that will be the case for everyone but I can say that even a relatively cheap off the shelf rifle can consistently handle that range. I agree with the comments regarding not taking a shot you know you can make. Ethics.

Back
Top Bottom