• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What level of accuracy do insist on for a deer rifle?

Minimum acceptable accuracy for you out of a deer rifle?

• 1 MOA

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2 MOA

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • 3 MOA

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 4 MOA

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Minute of pie plate

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I don't care, spray and pray is how I roll.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
This all makes sense except that part about an off the shelf rifle being as accurate as the hunter. Those two things are not related. Accuracy errors are cumulative, so to say that the rifles is more accurate than the shooter does not make sense. If the rifle is a 2MOA weapon and the shooter is a 3MOA shooter, that's 5MOA. You say as much later in your post, but people need to stop thinking that an inaccurate shooter makes an inaccurate rifle moot. The exact opposite is true. A poor shot needs all the help they can get. The opposite is also true. The less accurate the rifle, the more skilled the shooter needs to be, but no matter how good the shooter is they can't make a rifle more accurate than it is. All they can do is reduce the accumulation of accuracy flaws.

I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up, but I disagree with the statements in bold. If accuracy errors are simply cumulative in that way, how would one explain the vast number of 1-2MOA claims? Are the rifles actually .5 MOA with a bunch of closet benchrest shooters pulling the triggers? The chance of a rifle throwing a shot in the exact same direction as the shooter errors in aim/trigger pull/follow through would be extremely unlikely to occur once. For it to happen enough to effect an entire sampling of data or "groups" would be impossible.

Another thing people don't consider is most sight in from a bench with purpose built rests (I do) in a 100% repeatable position. They then assume they will get the same POI and accuracy results hanging from a tree 20' in the air shooting at God knows what angle/position. GLWSshot.

Another thing people don't consider is most sight in from a bench with purpose built rests (I do) in a 100% repeatable position. They then assume they will get the same POI and accuracy results hanging from a tree 20' in the air shooting at God knows what angle/position. GLWSshot.

And even if you were to be shooting from the same setup, that ol' Buck Fever will get the best of 'em!

Are you all hunting farms? Average shots I've taken are from 20-30 yds
Closest deer I ever shot was last year about 20 yards. Farthest (in Georgia) was 335 yards and it was indeed a farm (old dairy farm). I actually screwed up and thought the deer was over 100 yards closer (long story) but the .25-06 didn't know the difference and neither did the (then dead) deer.

I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up, but I disagree with the statements in bold. If accuracy errors are simply cumulative in that way, how would one explain the vast number of 1-2MOA claims? Are the rifles actually .5 MOA with a bunch of closet benchrest shooters pulling the triggers? The chance of a rifle throwing a shot in the exact same direction as the shooter errors in aim/trigger pull/follow through would be extremely unlikely to occur once. For it to happen enough to effect an entire sampling of data or "groups" would be impossible.
I think you underestimate the ability of shooters that are willing to talk about it. Also, it's not that difficult to take most shooter error out of it when shooting off a bench. Bag that baby up and you hardly have to be touching it when shooting to zero and determine rifle accuracy. I've taken new shooter and had then consistently shooting 1MOA groups in a day.

I think you underestimate the ability of shooters that are willing to talk about it. Also, it's not that difficult to take most shooter error out of it when shooting off a bench. Bag that baby up and you hardly have to be touching it when shooting to zero and determine rifle accuracy. I've taken new shooter and had then consistently shooting 1MOA groups in a day.

So the new shooter was actually shooting<1MOA, the other part being the rifle? THAT is top notch instruction!

Maybe I should take up bowling...

Back
Top Bottom