• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What powder and Why ???

Inthegarge

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
146   0
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start loading 223....What powder do you use and why ?? Also need bullet suggestions..... Using it for Varmit hunting and plinking...........Thx RW

Last edited:
I use mostly Winchester 748. It meters like water so you don't need to weigh every charge, I get outstanding accuracy in my 26" Rem 700 with most any bullet. W748 and the .223 is like peanut butter & jelly, made for one another. The H335 works well for me in the ARs'. Benchmark is also a good choice. Most of these powders will give you good performance in the .223. One may be a little better than the other for a particular application, but they'll all perform well. Experimenting with different powders, primers, brass, and bullets is what it's all about. Shoot em', load em', and shoot em' again!

I use surplus IMR 4895. Cheap when available, and works well in most popular rifle cartridges. I use it for 223/5.56, 30-30, 7.62x39, 308 Win/7.62. In the smaller cartridges, it won't produce top velocities, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff, IMO. If I could only have one rifle powder, 4895 would be it, either surplus or commercial.

try Ramshot TAC

fairly cheap compared to other powders and works very well with 55-70 grain

we run 25 gr. with military 55 gr and 62 grain

I've loaded using Varget, H335. and AA 2230. I like about 24.5 grains of 2230 for most 55gr loads. It's cheap, plentiful, clean, meters really well, and shoots very accurately. For plinking I pick up any 55gr FMJ I can find the cheapest. For Varmint I load Nosler 55gr ballistic tip ( has orange tip). I've had really good results with those.

i load using Varget, H335, and AA 2230 also. i either load a 55gr FMJ or a 60gr Hornady V-max and get outstanding results from all my weapons. im hoping to try some Benchmark soon and see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom