What to bring when traveling light?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
So I guess I'll make a trip to the TX hill country. While I have the opportunity to hunt a variety of "big game", including exotics, for free while there, I have no interest for a variety of reasons but have some passing interest in perhaps coyote and/or hog hunting, maybe doves and possibly even ducks. I'd rather not bring an arsenal. So, what would you bring?
I was hoping for some long distance yote hunting but apparently 100 yards is the very rare exception vs the rule.
So, just a shotgun with appropriate loads? Shotgun for yotes and birds but perhaps a centerfire for hogs? I guess the pigs are shot at feeders but I hope and would rather attempt some stalking.
I don't know, just would really like to pack as light as possible but in theory I could cart a variety.

High Brass lead #7 12 gauge should clear just about any upland game. Steel #3 is what I prefer for hunting ducks in Texas. If you have an AR-10 that would be my choice for exotics, hogs and yotes as the longest shots possible South of Dallas (The only place I go each year) is between 100-200 yards. If you have any more specifics let me know.

I guess I should also mention that I'll be visiting family and they have stuff I could borrow but I'd rather just bring what I know I'll use.
Yes, I have a .30-30.
I'm tempted to bring just the shotgun... but am itching to use a .44 lever... and feel almost obligated to bring a varmint caliber rifle. :noidea:

Back
Top Bottom